I can't make time go slower on this sim!

neutrosophic

I recently followed a tutorial about making an effect of wires following a pyro advection. The tutorial works fine, I can make the effect. However personally I wanted to slow the animation down considerably. I have tried using the time scale in the pyro sim which made the popnet go jittery and crazy. I tried baking the pyro sim to a file cache in slow motion to use that as the source for the advection it still screws it up. I've tried adjusting every single time setting in every node in the system I have even tried just using a timewarp node at the end of everything to slow everything down but every single time I just get a jittery mess. I am looking for ANY help anyone could give me I have attached the file for you guys to look over.

stringadvect.hip

Have you also been adjusting the time scale / velocity in the popnet?

I'm not super familiar with the look you're going for. But either setting the popnet timescale to the same timescale or (this looked better to me) dropping the velocity scale in the advect by volumes to the same value as the timescale in the pyrosolver. They seems to result in a more stable sim.

Dropping the timescale doesn't alter the actual velocity values of the pyro sim, so you need to account for that when you bring it to the popnet.

From the help:

Note

Changing the Time Scale only affects the timestep of the simulation. If adding velocities calculated in SOPs to the simulation for collisions or pumps with the Volume Source DOP, scale the incoming velocities by 1 / timescale to match the timestep of the simulation.

Edited by madebygeoff

Time scale does not seem to affect the sparse pyro velocity field, but if you reference your velocity from the billowy smoke legacy pryo shelf tool, the time scale seems to work.

slower.gif.e3a3b1d2dd67f554544123e48fae4b3f.gif 

Edited by Atom