How to use a curve and a carve to cut out an object from a solid

I have these curves I am using via a Illustrator file, then blasts to separate my individual parts. I would like to carve each part out of a box/plate to have a sort of plasma cutting effect. Where the cut is wide enough to let light shines through when back lighting, enviorment and texturing are aplied.

Similar to this except the environment and back lighting would provide the light, the sheet being cut would be thick enough to produce an object that would then fall etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZUWubBqeY

The video below is my actual first hack at this.

I am just key framing two different parts of the curve with a carve and added a polyextrude for some thickness but I'm not sure where to go from here to allow this process to cut out of, well.. anything. 

Or maybe and probably there is a better way?

Thank you in advance

untitled.avi

Edited by Btron6000

You can create a base shape using a Grid + PolyExtrude, or a simple Box. Then use Boolean SOP to cut out your shape from it. Note that the Boolean SOP generally works best with geometry that intersects and do not have coplanar faces, so your cutting shape should be thicker than the base shape (or just positioned such that it doesn't line up exactly with one side). Make sure that your cutting shape is also solid geometry, consider using VDB to ensure this but it may be slightly overkill.

All great possible solutions! After experimenting with all of the above it's either over my head or just not a solution to fit my exact problem (mostly over my head). I designed the font in Illustrator. By using blasts instead of individual file import nodes, I am able to maintain the original structure of the design. I tried using a font node but to your point @Atom it was difficult to isolate and time out the individual letters and designs in the order I need. @Fenolis As far as a boolean goes, that was my first attempt and thought. I decided to not list it to see if anyone had a better idea. The boolean does seem to be the best fit I just can't seem to set it up to work how I need. 

These are all great ideas but I am trying to cut the designs out of (Imagine a thick piece of steel) hence my use of a box. The file import node - blast - curve - convert -carve seemed the most logical path. I am relativity new to Houdini if that is not blatantly clear. @konstantin magnus I'm just starting to rap my head around custom attribute wrangles, maps etc. So the script is a bit out of my current understanding. I am researching whats behind the aforementioned maps and wrangles listed. It does seem like a job for a wrangle, I'm just not seeing the forest through the trees. 

This how I have set up this rig thus far with some boolean experimentation. Notice the carves are key framed to reveal along the time line. I really need to have this project figured out in the next 32 hours so any and all suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for you support and guidance.

Lang_1.ai

Lang_Test_1.hiplc

I am vaguely familiar with for each loops. I have been trying to interpret your help to no avail to even see if it is a solution I can use. I have accomplished great things in Houdini via liquid simulations etc and thus I feel so f'n defeated over what should be a simple boolean reveal with simple .ai file. Guess I need to hit the books hard. 

I have been experimenting with the last file. I get it for the most part. Trying to figure out how to get the cuts I need to create solid letters. I have subtitled a box for the grid. Trying to work it out.

Thank you for taking the time.

I have figured out how I need this to work using my original setup, then a resample to a polyextrude and then a boolean with a box the size of the wall I would like the logo to cut out. I am having trouble with a few issues though. 

1. When the carve carves, it seems to flicker the box it is carving out and only displays the box after the carve is done. 

2. I need to figure out how to put an end cap on the polyextrude as the carve is created. Or better yet utilize the face of the box as the polyextrudes end cap.

3. If I use my merge setup, it does not seem to effect the other curves the same way. Obviously I need to continually carve out the Logo as key framed.  

Thank you in advance for any insight.

LangHoudini.ai

LangTest_2.hiplc