what are these sparky FX in real life?

Hi,

I am watching references and found these sparky "things" (see below), they look cool, but I am not sure what they really represent in real life? They are not fire, explosions, etc... just sparks being emitted massively and fly quickly? I know some experts here will know what these FX are :)

a.png

b.png

"Spark Shooters" is probably a pretty good description, I think they show up in pretty much every Michael Bay movie that has some sort of destruction.  They look like just tons of sparks being emitted like you suspect, like hand-held sparklers you can buy at the store, but tons of them (and flying).

• Like 1

thx :) I googled "spark shooters" and I found some machines (https://www.amazon.com/BrightFootBook-Shaking-Machine-Right,DMX-Parties/dp/B09732ZNXS/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=cold+spark+machine&qid=1651264030&sr=8-2)

So, that brings me to the second question: do they really happen in real explosions/fights? I am looking at many real explosions and I don't see them? Maybe my references are missing them?

On 29.4.2022 at 10:29 PM, catchyid said:

thx :) I googled "spark shooters" and I found some machines (https://www.amazon.com/BrightFootBook-Shaking-Machine-Right,DMX-Parties/dp/B09732ZNXS/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=cold+spark+machine&qid=1651264030&sr=8-2)

So, that brings me to the second question: do they really happen in real explosions/fights? I am looking at many real explosions and I don't see them? Maybe my references are missing them?

Yes, those actually happen in real life with high voltage short circuits. So explosions and fights involving electical lines.