Pricing And Product Line Changes

michael

Side Effects Software is pleased to announce a new Houdini product line with lower prices designed to make it easier for you to maintain and enhance your current Houdini pipeline. This new product line includes a streamlined list of products and a re-packaging of some features, such as free third party rendering and access to unlimited Mantra render tokens with both Houdini Master and Houdini Escape.

In March, Side Effects Software will be releasing Houdini 8.2 to introduce the new product line. Houdini 8 licenses for Houdini Master and Houdini Escape will continue to work without interruption. Houdini Select customers will be able to use their Houdini 8 license to run Houdini Escape 8.2, and Houdini Non-graphical and Rscript customers will be able to use their Houdini 8 license to run Houdini Batch 8.2.

Here is a link to a migration chart that will help existing users understand the changes:

http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/produ...art_march07.pdf

Fantastic!!!! Best news in a long time! Thanks SESI! It seems thay picked up a nice timing for the announcement: now that maya and max are a little uncertain in the long run, and xsi is hopeless for fx work, houdini is a very very attractive package with the reduced price...

Now, to spoil the good taste a little: I wish that this reduction in price does not mean any lower investment in research and development.

Why is Houdini now just 50% worth?

I understand that this is great news for studios and everybody.

But from the *mystical* point of view this is near *disillusionment*.

Oh, they just lowered the price of admission. You still have to prove yourself if you want to be part of the mystical circle of the worthy Houdini users. :euro:

Dragos

Now, to spoil the good taste a little: I wish that this reduction in price does not mean any lower investment in research and development.

Given all the work we are going on Houdini 9 right now I wouldn't be too worried.

Why is Houdini now just 50% worth?

I understand that this is great news for studios and everybody.

But from the *mystical* point of view this is near *disillusionment*.

Oh, they just lowered the price of admission. You still have to prove yourself if you want to be part of the mystical circle of the worthy Houdini users. :euro:

Dragos

This is the year we plan to get past the "too expensive" and "to hard to learn" labels that follow Houdini everywhere. The new pricing and the UI and workflow changes coming in Houdini 9 are designed specifically to make Houdini more accessible to a lot more CG professionals.

Of course, there will always be a "mystical circle of worthy Houdini users" with Jeff's Old School blog as the price of admission and "voppity pop sop dop" will be your secret language....

The new pricing and the UI and workflow changes coming in Houdini 9 are designed specifically to make Houdini more accessible to a lot more CG professionals.

Make the shading & lighting workflow faster, easier and actually usable and I'll worship SESI forever. :notworthy:

Dragos

Funny, I haven't quite understood why the "Houdini is hard to learn"... I think a fax machine is harder to operate than Houdini... :lol:

try to search online houdini tutorials,

and then search for maya max or fax tutorials.. and you will see :)

Edited by Val

Of course, there will always be a "mystical circle of worthy Houdini users" with Jeff's Old School blog as the price of admission and "voppity pop sop dop" will be your secret language ...

In this case it is "defetishisation".

The investment in learning Houdini was always greater than in owning it.

The new icons look like "sam and max hit the road" [1] [2] - tutorials will flood the net and for every tutorial there will be a user who has memorised it but didn't understand it [3].

The mob prepares for the run on the bastille - the apprentice turns into the intern.

I already know and use a few mainstream applications, why should I spend my time learning Houdini?

</rant>

Georg

[1] http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/title..._old_school.png

[2] http://www.adventuregamers.com/screenshot....&article=78

[3] 0,05$cent per addclick - post your hipfiles here.

Edited by rdg

I love "Sam&Max hit the road" B)

I guess everybody does.

Alltough if questioned I'd probably vote for the Ultima Series esp. #7 [1]

Well, the icons are just a symptom:

"'The colored, nice-looking things have to occur in the viewports'

Yeah Man!" [2]

Georg

[1] http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ultima-v...meShotId,31060/

[2] http://discussion.autodesk.com/adskcsp/thr...ssageID=5353012

I think they are a simply a symptom of more attention given to the UI, which is good and necessary. Houdini did need a refresh in this area, and as long as this means improving the functionality of the UI *and* making it look better, I'm all for it.

Dragos