The Book Setup

kiryha

I did not open Houdini for a while so even with this simple setup I need assistance :)

I have a 200 pages book (I guess it's Matt's Estela asset) and 400 jpeg files named 0000.jpg, 0010.jpg, 0020.jpg, 0030.jpg etc. I created a 2 sided shader and I need to assign a unique image to each page. As far as I understand I need to define a unique ID for each page in my book/copy_pages node and then use this ID in some expression in my materials/texture1 and texture2 nodes.

And that I don't know how to do, I would be super happy if anyone can help me with this!

book_flip_pages_001.hipnc

1 hour ago, kiryha said:

I did not open Houdini for a while so even with this simple setup I need assistance :)

I have a 200 pages book (I guess it's Matt's Estela asset) and 400 jpeg files named 0000.jpg, 0010.jpg, 0020.jpg, 0030.jpg etc. I created a 2 sided shader and I need to assign a unique image to each page. As far as I understand I need to define a unique ID for each page in my book/copy_pages node and then use this ID in some expression in my materials/texture1 and texture2 nodes.

And that I don't know how to do, I would be super happy if anyone can help me with this!

book_flip_pages_001.hipnc

Try with Snipper.

book_flip_pages_002.thumb.jpg.2be840023b247f71098ec3142045a75b.jpg

book_flip_pages_002.hipnc

• Like 2

Oh sorry, just notice "0000.jpg, 0010.jpg, 0020.jpg, 0030.jpg" sequence.
Upgrade to this.

You can even do all string paths on object level and store in attributes (pageA, pageB), then just bind in shader.

book_flip_pages_002_seq.thumb.jpg.86826b6c65884917756b8621b0931de4.jpg

Edited by fencer

Thanks, Paul, you rock!

Though I can't make it work yet... How can I debug the values in the snippet1/snippet2 nodes? Nither printf() no attribute spreadsheet gives anything. I am not sure which values I get from copynum etc.

`path = sprintf('E:/projects/workbook_A/3D/textures/%s.jpg', '0');` work
`path = sprintf('E:/projects/workbook_A/3D/textures/%s.jpg', copynum);` do not work. 

image.thumb.png.6abe2eaebb2bfbeba41a7e90df840c6b.png

Also, on your screen, every primitive has a different value for copynum attribute, but for me, it is every 266 primitive...

image.thumb.png.51579b3c4a5c30720fe993f9e9a07906.png

book_flip_pages_004.hipnc

Edited by kiryha

6 hours ago, kiryha said:

Thanks, Paul, you rock!

Though I can't make it work yet... How can I debug the values in the snippet1/snippet2 nodes? Nither printf() no attribute spreadsheet gives anything. I am not sure which values I get from copynum etc.

`path = sprintf('E:/projects/workbook_A/3D/textures/%s.jpg', '0');` work
`path = sprintf('E:/projects/workbook_A/3D/textures/%s.jpg', copynum);` do not work. 

image.thumb.png.6abe2eaebb2bfbeba41a7e90df840c6b.png

Also, on your screen, every primitive has a different value for copynum attribute, but for me, it is every 266 primitive...

image.thumb.png.51579b3c4a5c30720fe993f9e9a07906.png

book_flip_pages_004.hipnc

Hey, as I mentioned before it will be easier and more visible to do on object level.

Check hip.

book_flip_pages_texture.zip

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kiryha said:

Why I don't have motion blur in my Karma render?

book_flip_pages_005.hipnc

"I did not open Houdini for a while" :D are you sure it was Houdini?

1. for geometry velocity blur you didn't calculate velocity on geometry level
2. didn't apply geometry velocity blur sampling on object level

book_mb.thumb.jpg.de06e45de3cf1fdffe6d3cdcec246f1c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys for the support!

Finally, with your help, I have an asset that I can use to promote my other crazy project, "The Secret Code of Superheroes" workbook for 4-6 yo kids :)

Edited by kiryha
  • Like 3