Floating Point Tiffs

ivan

so I'm spitting out a lot of layers (14) into .tif files in a deep raster, and several of them are floating point .tifs.

The .tif files look great here (mplay under linux) tiffinfo claims they are good everything seems hapy.

I deliver them offsite to a MAC after effects facility, and they can't read the files. They can sometimes read some of them, but not all of them.

I have not found a common explanation. For a bit I thought they couldn't contain values outside 0-1, but that doesn't seem like the case now...

any leads?

Hey Ivan, I think you might have to change your tif compression style (to "Adobe Deflate"?) in your ROP if I remembered correctly... could this have been it?

EDIT: hmm... looks like the default is already on Adobe Deflate... I guess one of the compression for tif then (or perhaps "No Compression")... i can't remember... :(

After Effects does support float TIFFs (I just checked). However, they're supported only in the Professional version and one has to pay attention at the color settings of the project, otherwise the floating point files might get their color altered. Maybe some of the workstations don't have the Pro version installed?

Also, I generally use uncompressed TIFFs for better compatibility.

It's also good to know that After Effects 7 also imports float OpenEXR.

Dragos

Try using EXR, it should work better with After Effects, if you want tiff, use LZW.

And be carefull that everytime you open the houdini file, all your compression setting goes back to default, then If you changed to LZW compression, and you reopen the scene, all setting are Adobe Default again, then is better to use EXR.

There is a config file you can change to specify what compression is default for tiffs, but I dont remember where is now.

• 2 weeks later...