Stormtrooper Helmet

stu

beautiful model and rendition!

the only thing that makes me wonder, if the specular highlights of the shadow casting lights are needed or not. You got some clear reflection of some "neon tube" like features, and for me those structures and the specular highlights are disturbing each other. imho the highlights aren't needed because for the viewer it's enough to think that the light is coming from those neon tubes.

imho, the image's clear feel, which makes it so appealing to the eye, could get even more clearer.

by the way, those helmets are.. uhmm.. piece of my heart.. thanks!

cheers

bmt

Thank you all, very kind.

Here's what the network looks like from afar:

post-237-1176490212_thumb.jpg

It's a mess, I know. :)

As for modelling, I used all of the above - box modelling, poly by poly, and everything in between, including about 20 edit SOPs where I'd push and pull points endlessly. The end result is polygonal.

beeemtee, I see what you mean about the specular contributions interfering with the reflections. I tried a version without and lost a lot of the highlights around the tubes etc. that I was liking, so I put them back in. I guess I could remove the specular highlights and replace them with an equivalent in the reflection so that the legitimate light sources are still represented with a highlight.

The black artifacts are there because the object is polygonal and I have backface removal turned off so that the inside of the helmet (it's one sided - no interior) would occlude the ground properly. The polygons that are on the cusp of facing away from the camera cause the problem. There are a bunch of ways around this sort of thing, but I was just being lazy. :sleep1:

Thanks again!

stu

I don't have the file in front of me, but when I do I'll post another pic of the network.

Mantra is as good as any other renderer out there, especially considering the changes coming in H9 (rubs hands together deviously).

Thanks for the comments!

stu