Flip Fluid help, Trying to make a dripping object

Teteerck

Hello everyone!! I've been trying to make an object slowly drip fluids but I haven't been able to achieve it yet T_T+

Found this simulation made in blender and I'm trying to replicate it in Houdini but my liquid just go all the way down without those little drips.
Any suggestions on how could I make something similar to this? 
up0D3.gif.831348552e4876fc7f5e4c71f6a219c1.gif

Thank you in advance for any help!

Thank you!! :D from the thumbnail doesn't look very close to the monkey in the OP hehehe but I'll for sure study it! thank you so much for the help.

I was able to make replicate it with older versions of blender with the old fluid engine. just trying to see if I can get any clue in blender that could help me translate it into Houdini.

This is blender 2.79, very easy to set up. how the fluid stays up and just some drops slowly goes down.
image.png.a2b0f0a8dc84f8eefaac57d56b5209d7.pngç

But trying to do the same in blender 3 or Houdini I get something like this  hahaha

image.png.4e5866ec5587f1daf19823a096968ce8.png

I think I might start off with something like this. I've enabled viscosity and surface tension, so there is interplay between the surface tension and the fluid density. It plays a strong roll in shaping the look, so adjust those parameters first. Aging is enabled to remove particles from the scene over time. The darker particles have less viscosity and move quicker than the brighter ones. Because of the surface tension, some bright ones are pulled along. Viscosity is randomized based on @id, and then customized using a ramp. You could always stagger activation using a modulus, but here a continuous emission is shown.

You'd have to dial in the effect based on the surface you supply.

flip_continuous_drip.gif

ap_flip_random_viscosity_drip.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for the help!! That looks great! :O I'll definitely try to tweak it. I'm kinda amazed that I thought this was going to be like ULTRA simple to do like it sounds like just "an object dripping" but there's practically no examples or references/tutorials online of something like this. and that old blender can make it really quick!!! 

I tried making the sim in blender 2.81 and it's decent I dont have much control over it but it's decent. tried importing that into Houdini to convert to volume and add a make loop node in there. almost worked but not quite so that's why I thought ok I gotta do this entirely in Houdini. but wow I really thought was going to be more straightforward hahaha

Any other suggestions would be greatly welcome, it's amazing what you can learn with files from people here hehehe

@Teteerck or you can use in dopnet with sop scalar field 2 gasfieldwrangle

vector grad = normalize(volumegradient(0,'surface',@P));
if(dot(grad,{0,-1,0})>0.8 && @surface < 0.1*noise(10*@P))
@surface -= 0.1 *noise(30*@P);
@surface = lerp(@surface , volumesmoothsample(0,'surface',@P),0.05);

vbn.jpg

• Like 1