fuse??

betty

frustration once again over a simple thing so i'm turning to the trusty odforce forum.

I've this poly half head and i duplicate it, scale -1 to the get the other side. I use the reverseSOP to get the normals right. I want to merge the two sides into one. Now i use the fuseSOP to consolidate the points down the middle of the object. When i append a subdivideSOP i have this edge going around the loop of points right down the middle which i used the fuseSOP on.

Can someone let me know what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Betty

The problem you have is due to reversed Normals. Go to the SOP before the Fuse SOP & turn on Prim Normals in the Viewport. Notice how the Normals of each half are facing away?

This is due to the Reverse SOP performing the operation on both halves. To solve this, in the Duplicate SOP, turn on "Create Output Groups". Now in the Reverse SOP, click on the Right Arrow of the Source Group parameter to select copyGroup1.

Voila! The seam is gone! :)

Steven

That's what i did, but i did it in the viewport and had my duplicate geometry selected when choosing the reverseSOP. I also checked my normals - all is fine that area.

I just did it again like you explained in the network editor but that seam is still there???

Betty

I have a half poly head from somewhere & after fusing, I have a loop there but it's smooth. Maybe you can turn up the fusing threshold. Else, before you duplicate, use an Edit SOP to flatten the edges onto the Construction plane.

Right-click on the Construction plane button & select "Center c-plane around World X-Axis" to align it.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hey guys,

I've done all that,

*weird thing with the construction plane, i actually flattened two points to the plane which i aligned to the World X-Axis. but it didn't work, the ponts moved and when i checked in orthograhic mode they looked like they flattened to the plane but when i fused the loop they didn't come together?????

*i've also tried the facetSOP, bu i think the fuseSOP pretty much does what the facet would do under these conditions.

??????

i'll keep trying

in the meantime, i'll put this head up as it is

Betty

btw, in Vex shaded mode you don't see the loop in the viewport but it renders. and the other thing is it actually doesn't go all the way around the head...?..i've played with the parameters. i've spent too much time on this little thing - i'll get the image up and figure it out latter.

Hi Betty

couple'a things. Turn on point number display to see if there are still duplicate point numbers at the place where you're getting the seam.

Also, and this might be hard to spot. Turn on primitive numbers (turn of point numbers first :)) and make sure there are no extra primitives lying around the seam area.

I've had that before where I've been modeling and I'll leave a degenerate polygon lying about and won't see it. If you do have any extra ones then use a blast SOP and just type the number into the group field.

Also, you should all know that this kinda thing (the duplicating->revers->fuse thing) is gone with 5.5. In 5.5 there is a mirror SOP which does it all for you. Its pretty neat.

Cheers

Marc

:ph34r:

Hi Marc,

Thanks for that, i'll give it a go when i get back to work ( just started the weekend! ), i'll let you know how it turns out.

re: "Turn on point number display to see if there are still duplicate point numbers at the place where you're getting the seam. "

*I did this and saw no duplicate points.

re:Also, and this might be hard to spot. Turn on primitive numbers (turn of point numbers first ) and make sure there are no extra primitives lying around the seam area.

I've had that before where I've been modeling and I'll leave a degenerate polygon lying about and won't see it.

*I'll try this, but i recall i had an option in the fuseSOP checked regarding degenerate polygons???....mmmm...i'll check it in a couple of days.

Good to hear that the mirrorSOP is on the way, i'm a huge fan of the mirrorOP - the more tbe better.

Betty

Hiya,

This is probably a repetition and everyone probably knows about it.

If your seam is still there after you tried checking on the centroid stuff and that there are no accidental duplicates, please make sure that no one vertice is sticking out. what I generally did is go to the model's front view and move the point by hand so that it's close enough where it doesn't matter.

After that is done, pop in a group SOP and use a bounding box to bound all the points on the outer edge only. Afterward in Fuse SOP, you can specify the group to be fused. I think this should be easier as well.

Cheers,

Alex