Files size getting large and slow down

I've been doing some tests with different op's to create a metal plate and have been getting bogged down and the file size is getting quite large. It shouldn't get large because it only has a circle, curve profile, grid, extrude, project, trim, copy and merge op's (not much to it). But the size has grown to 126,000 kbs and it takes a long time to save it and to load it later. What would be causing this increase in file size? Is there something in the prefereces settings? Should I have the Cache Compression set to something other than "None"? I don't think I can continue to learn Houdini if it keeps getting bogged down on a small scene (Re: one small object). I know I need more memory and a better video card, but I don't think this is the problem as I just recently started having this problem. Once again, what would cause this increase in file size?

I think this problem is related to my other large lamp file. When I started doing some test files, I didn't exit Houdini I just clicked on New File. My lamp file was increasing in size every time I went into Houdini. So, it was suggested to me to start a new Houdini session and start another Houdini session with my lamp file. Then copy all the sop's over to my new blank file and save it there. I did this and the lamp file was reduced to 135 KB from 4,857 KB. I guess it might be a good idea to exit Houdini before starting a new file? Houdini must have been remembering something from the lamp file. What then is the purpose of "New File"?

Hi there

Yeah its generally a good idea to start a new houdini session everytime. I do it so often that I don't even think about it now :). Personally I would never ever touch the 'file new' button. The older versions of houdini would crash if you tried to use the file>load button, so count yourself lucky ;)

Actually, I remember during the alpha of 5.0 there was a bug where the file new wouldn't clear out the hip file totally, but that was supposed to have been fixed.

You're probably on aprentice so you're not eligible for support, but I believe you can still report bugs. You should send your files to sidefx support and tell them that its exhibiting those problems and its due to using the file new button. Hopefully they'll fix it then :D

Cheers

marc

• 4 months later...

Similar to yours.

Very strange, but happened.

Almost couldn't run.

There were no changes about Double Buffering, Draw Lines Smoothly,

reserve for undo system, and other applications were runnig at the same

time with Houdini.

I opened a .hip file random, which was about 200KB,

with no operations, saved, and the file became about 20M.

I'm using 5.5 on xp.

The .hip file are created by myself.

Even if I createed a new one, without any operations, save it,

the Untitle file would became about 20M.

Sure, I did many operations to the file.

I didn't notice which operation after it the speed became slowly.

CPU: Celeron 900 MHz.

RAM: 128M.

Video card: Sis 630, 8M, compositive within mainboard.

One thing that I think may cause an increase in file size is using the "save as" to save your file as something else and then continue working in the new file. In other programs I would do some work (2d) and save as ???1. I would then continue to work in this new file until I get to a point where I want to save it again (as ???2). This way I can have a few files and do different tests to see which one I like better. When doing this the file size doesn't get bigger in the 2d software that I use. But, when I tried this in Houdini the size got huge. So, the only time I use "save as" is when I first start a new Houdini project and then after I would just hit the save button. I haven't tried this in version 6. Hope this makes sence.

Hi all,

The hip file bloating issue has been fixed in 6.0.

As per Marc's suggestion, try to quit and start a new Houdini session. File -> New is one of the causes of the file bloats.

If the file is getting too big, open a new Houdini, delete the default nodes then copy-and-paste from the other Houdini to the new one.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!

steven