Houdini 9 And Prman

Iam completely new to houdini is there any way i can get step by step instructions on setting up houdini master 9 with prman 13? iam on windows xp platform, any help will be really appreciated.

Hello there - it's quite easy, usually. There is some info on our wiki here: PrManSetup in the Rendering section. (I just fixed up some older info in there for you)

Hello there - it's quite easy, usually. There is some info on our wiki here: PrManSetup in the Rendering section. (I just fixed up some older info in there for you)

thank you for replying to my question jason.I checked out the od wiki on prman setup but can u please explain it in detail as iam a complete newbie and environment variables are not my cuppa tea.i ahve both houdini master and prman installed on my machine.

thank you for replying to my question jason.I checked out the od wiki on prman setup but can u please explain it in detail as iam a complete newbie and environment variables are not my cuppa tea.i ahve both houdini master and prman installed on my machine.

You might want to read up on environment variables yourself - and since I've never installed PrMan on Windows myself, I have no idea if the installer (optionally) sets up your environment variables correctly for you. (I suspect it does though). If so, then Houdini should be able to execute PrMan directly and you're good to go without needing to customize much further.

To manually set or change environment variables - you can read up a little more in the CustomizingHoudini section on the wiki too.

As Edward says, to confirm: you are running the full Houdini Master, right? Not Apprentice?

EDIT: I added a little more info to the PrManSetup wiki page.

Hi there,

the only thing has to be done is set variable HOUDINI_DEFAULT_RIB_RENDERER as it's explained in Help.

Houdini work with PRMan without any additionally setup (except putting "%RMANTREE%/bin" to your PATH of course).

Check also if RMANTREE and RMSTREE variables are set correctly by PRMan installer. They should point to Pixar/RenderMan-of-your_version/ directory.

cheers,

sy.

Edited by SYmek