Fluid With Whitewater

MIguel P

Hello guys,

I've been doing a bit of R&D with fluids trying to make whitewater. This is just particles emmited from the peaks of the fluid geometry inheriting the velocity.

http://www.miguelperezsenent.com/Media/Tes...ter_test_1d.avi

I attach a video with a quick render with more particles.

I hope you find it interesting :)

whitewater_test_1_render.avi

Edited by MIguel P

Hi Miguel,

That looks very good. :)

//

I also would like to start experimenting with liquids. I am sure there is a good starting point in the help files. I do not have access to H9 for a short time. So just wanted to ask, as an idea... from where should I start? I have something in mind like the image below:

06.jpg

Then I might move into solid objects turning into liquid etc...

Any advice and resources will be a great help. Later when I have access to H9 i will start exploring...

Thanks.

Edited by Symbolic

Hey guys, I'm glad you liked them!

Here is another test. There are a few errors, but I think the system works pretty good.

Symbolic, the help is the best starting point to learn about fluids. Also, I think the fluids require time playing with the parameters and doing various tests. Wait until you have H9 and start enjoying :)

For those who want to try this, simply make your fluid sim and use the system that ptakun posted in this thread I started months ago: http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showto...;hl=cusp+values

This will give you the peaks and then you can play adjusting the attribute (multiplying it by the velocity, etc). Then you can emmit particles from the fluid surface based on your cusp parameter inheriting the velocity.

If you can't manage to do It I'll post the file.

whitewater_test_2_render.avi

great stuff as always Miguel

one thing I'd suggest is to create foam on the surface where the fluid is more turbulent (not sure the best way to describe this)...

since that's what causes foam...

so maybe use the peaks as a mask...

foam is created where the fluid is only high AND turbulent...

Even if these are very nice tests, what Michael says makes a lot of sense to my barely-homo sapiens brain.

Miguel, if you recall the Realflow water animation I showed you last weekend, even if it was lacking foam at some parts, it had some of it properly placed, specially at the beginning, and that was a python script (not written by me but by a guy called Richard Sutherland. I just tweaked the values to work for my scene) which generated foam based on internal pressure which is one of the parameters that Realflow uses a lot. I think bealobo has written a foam script for Realflow too but I didn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, I'm glad you like it :)

About the rendering problem... can you render any other object? The procedure is the same, there shouldn't be any problem. Can you post the file?

My fluid has every parameter set to the default value and around 50 in the uniform divisions. Maybe your gravity is too low, I don't know...

I wrote the simulation to disk in DOPs, then imported it into SOPs and rendered out as bgeo. I think 6 frames in 1h40m is a really slow simulation time for that resolution, but I haven't checked, I could be wrong. Maybe other users can tell their experiences?

Hi Chris,

You are from NCCA? Right?

:)

Anyway... I was trying to explore the fluids as well and I had exactly the same problem... I was working on that Help example... "dropping object into a fluid container"... and I also could not get a render. All other stuff that I was playing around, I managed to render, but no success with the one I mentioned... very strange...

My post is:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=6326

I really would like to know the solution. Thanks.

Hey there Symbolic!

yes, I'm from NCCA :)

The rendering of the liquid sims is not really my prob at the moment. You know, I can render them, however, applying the glass shader didn't work :huh:

What you generally have to do to get your liquid rendered is point a DOPImport SOP to the fluid source node in your AutoDopNetwork.

So you could just go to scene level and create a new Geometry SOP, delete (or keep, as you might wanna bake out the geo and load it back in later) the default File SOP and create a DOPImport SOP.

In the parameter DOP Network specify your net /obj/AutoDopNetwork for instance

In the parameter Object Mask specify your fluid source within the Dopnet, such as `dopnodeobjs("/obj/AutoDopNetwork/fluidobject1")` for example

Set the import style to 'Fetch Geometry from Dop Network

And last but not least: set Geometry data path to surface/Visualization

Worked fine for me :) Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm-investigating this myself. I am not convinced ptakun`s scene works in v9 like it did in v8.

Did it just plug and play for you? For me -if you get rid of the lights (except for ambient)

the effect actually doesn`t seem to work like it did in v8. Cusps aren`t really there after refresh.

I`m not sure if its the vop or the chop at fault. Or if its me.

If you don`t remember what the trick is maybe a simple v9 test scene is the quickest way forward?

I remade ptakun's vop op in H9 looking at the H8 file. I attach an otl.

Make sure your object has the normals attribute...

cusp_values.otl

Edited by MIguel P