Rack Render

Jordan

Hi, everybody.

It has been 8 months i didn't use houdini.

So i decided to use houdini to design my store rack.

Here i attached the wireframe and the basic render.. of the model.

I believe the render could be faster, if i know how to setup deep shadow in H9. ( I failed to find the the load shadow shader para in the light pane) :blink:

Can anyone tell me how to fire up deep shadow please?

Next i'm going to add some shader...

Comment and criticism r welcome.

post-1266-1206303525_thumb.jpg

post-1266-1206303554_thumb.jpg

post-1266-1206303594_thumb.jpg

Hi, everybody.

It has been 8 months i didn't use houdini.

So i decided to use houdini to design my store rack.

Here i attached the wireframe and the basic render.. of the model.

I believe the render could be faster, if i know how to setup deep shadow in H9. ( I failed to find the the load shadow shader para in the light pane) :blink:

Can anyone tell me how to fire up deep shadow please?

Hi Jordan,

Welcome back! The store rack is looking good! Yes, please add some ceramic tiles. :)

In H9, go to the Shadows tab of the Light, change Shadow Type to Depth Map Shadows & by default, the Transparent Shadows toggle is checked which means the light is generating deep shadows. In H9, the light & shadow shader is bundled into the light so you don't have to manage a shadow shader now. The Depth Map Options are controlling the shadow shader parameters bundled within.

If you really want to use a shadow shader, you can use a Light Template instead which is the light from H8.

Hope the above helps!

Cheers!

steven

Hi Jordan,

Yes, please add some ceramic tiles. :)

In H9, go to the Shadows tab of the Light, change Shadow Type to Depth Map Shadows & by default, the Transparent Shadows toggle is checked which means the light is generating deep shadows. In H9, the light & shadow shader is bundled into the light so you don't have to manage a shadow shader now. The Depth Map Options are controlling the shadow shader parameters bundled within.

If you really want to use a shadow shader, you can use a Light Template instead which is the light from H8.

Hope the above helps!

Cheers!

steven

Thanks steven and stu for your comments.

After few days playing with the new mantra, i notice the speed of mantra has been increased significantly.

So I believe it would allow me to render some hot G.I. stuff like what i see in those vray gallery.

Next, I m going to work out some car render. ( steven, sorry for those ceramic tiles, i have sent those render for the carpenter to build the rack and feel unmotivated to work on the same piece from now :P )

More wip coming soon. ( Excited, the new H9 bundled shader looks really good. don't not need to go back n forth in VOP to create some generic shader like previously in H8.)

Thanks steven and stu for your comments.

After few days playing with the new mantra, i notice the speed of mantra has been increased significantly.

So I believe it would allow me to render some hot G.I. stuff like what i see in those vray gallery.

Next, I m going to work out some car render. ( steven, sorry for those ceramic tiles, i have sent those render for the carpenter to build the rack and feel unmotivated to work on the same piece from now :P )

More wip coming soon. ( Excited, the new H9 bundled shader looks really good. don't not need to go back n forth in VOP to create some generic shader like previously in H8.)

No problem. Just make sure you show us more renders! :mad:

:D

Cheers!

steven

Hi guys, thanks for your warm replies.

I am working on a hobby project now.

Today is Day 01.

Working on the background model of the animation now.

Here is the reference photo of the background which i downloaded from flickr.

Photographer name is Jens Karlsson.

post-1266-1206627853_thumb.jpg

Here is the dummy object that i placed along with the camera.

Going to watch the Procedural City DVD tonight to learn how to build the background procedurally. :rolleyes: enjoy myself.

Will keep update when i have new progress, thanks.

post-1266-1206628011_thumb.jpg

Hey Jordan

Really good work man not just the rack but the buildings also a very good start. Really looking forward to seeing more. You are doing a great job. Great job on the lighting on the rack too. Maybe the rack should be placed in the Gallery? :);)

Great Work Again,

Nate Nesler

Hey Jordan

Really good work man not just the rack but the buildings also a very good start. Really looking forward to seeing more. You are doing a great job. Great job on the lighting on the rack too. Maybe the rack should be placed in the Gallery? :);)

Great Work Again,

Nate Nesler

hey Nate, thanks for your kind words. The rack is unfinished work, I think I will place my finished work in the gallery if i have one. :) too bad i don't have any.

OK. Doing a lighting test on the finished model to check for errors in modeling. I've noticed sharp bevel doesn't look good in occlusion render. i think i gotta kill those bevel.

Don't know what happen to those black line at the bottom of the render, it must be something wrong with my model, have to go back and further investigate.

Lightning fast G.I render in mantra 9(at least 2 times faster than 8). i was thinking to use vray n 3dsmax for this project but i've changed my mind now.

And vray not as fast as i thought, i used vray for my last architectural render, but the result definitely looks good, is a trade-off.

Still remember those H8 days, when come to g.i. render, i always goto the balcony to have my cigarrate break heh <_<

ok, here is the render.

post-1266-1207150412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

Nice work!

Yeah, raytraced ambient occlusion is like an alarm for geometry - it'll point out anything that is misbehaving. Check to see that you don't have any reversed polygons.

Here, little update.

post-1266-1207670913_thumb.jpg

50% completed of the second building.

Gonna add window frames, glasses, bevel edges and some detail on the pillar.

After that, it should be some pipes and air-cond fan to model.

Can't wait for texturing and lighting. (so excited, but that's always some house chores to do at night :) )

here a little test for color bleed.(prepair for the render later.)

post-1266-1207671177_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

hey Nate, thanks for your kind words. The rack is unfinished work, I think I will place my finished work in the gallery if i have one. :) too bad i don't have any.

Hey Jordan

I may have to check what we wrote and clarify a little, but you're more than welcome to upload WIP's to the gallery. The only caveate we have is that you only tick the 'create thread' button if it's a finished piece. But if it's a choice of uploading something that looks good but isn't quite finished (and may never be) and not uploading at all, then I say put it up there. The more the merrier :).

Cheers

Marc