MPC opens in LA - with Mark Tobin...

symek

hm. Mark Tobin is a good friend, I've known him since he was at Method. A great guy, but he is very anti-houdini.

I'd say there's not much chance that MPC LA will allow Houdini.

Edited by ivan

hm. Mark Tobin is a good friend, I've known him since he was at Method. A great guy, but he is very anti-houdini.

I'd say there's not much chance that MPC LA will allow Houdini.

That's pretty funny, wasn't he for a long time in a52 in times Houdini was ruling there? Well, never mind. I was just sure the situation is opposite.

cheers,

sy.

A52 was ably led by Dennis Gauthier and his small, skilled team of Houdini artists under EP Rick Hassen for many years, but they were unable to staff up sufficiently to grow.

Mark Tobin came in and took over for EP Rick Hassen, and Mark brought in Maya and a team of Maya artists, so they could staff up and stop turning work away.

Dennis and his crew moved on (mostly over to Asylum) and the Maya team was left there. A friend of mine that was there on the Maya team told me

that when he suggested dusting off Houdini to generate some elements on a project, he was quickly dissuaded.

there are not enough Houdini freelancers available. There's no such thing as an unemployed Houdini artist.

That's pretty funny, wasn't he for a long time in a52 in times Houdini was ruling there? Well, never mind. I was just sure the situation is opposite.

cheers,

sy.

Edited by ivan

A52 was ably led by Dennis Gauthier and his small, skilled team of Houdini artists under EP Rick Hassen for many years, but they were unable to staff up sufficiently to grow.

Mark Tobin came in and took over for EP Rick Hassen, and Mark brought in Maya and a team of Maya artists, so they could staff up and stop turning work away.

Dennis and his crew moved on (mostly over to Asylum) and the Maya team was left there. A friend of mine that was there on the Maya team told me

that when he suggested duting off Houdini to generate some elements on a project, he was quickly dissuaded.

there are not enough Houdini freelancers available. There's no such thing as an unemployed Houdini artist.

Ah! This is something I needed! Thank you Ivan!

cheers,

Simon.

I'd have to say that generally speaking the entire industry is hard to break into for juniors. It's all a combination of timing and who and what you know.

One thing I can say for sure though is that posting here definitely helps. I know this forum has helped quite a few people get jobs in the industry. It's a nice way to gain exposure and demonstrate your abilities by either showing work you've done or helping others with their problems. So keep it up :)... it's not easy, but I have no doubts that you guys can do it.

Cheers

Marc