renderman and H9

TheAdmira1

hey there :)

what kinda info are you looking for?

Installation? Renderman specific? Usage?

The odForce wiki has some good installation info and it's a breeze to integrate it with H9...

wats goin on? well my prof is a MFing Renderman god when it comes to maya... but he hasnt used it in H9 yet... so i guess im just asking... how? haha... i dnt know a damn thing about renderman, but before i jump into asking to have an independent study in renderman w H9 i was wondering what your experiences with it, and is there any info out there i can catch up on before jumping into it in a couple weeks... thanks again!

First, make sure you're not using Apprentice. RenderMan output is disabled in there. Second, make sure you have Renderman installed (see PrManSetup). Third, set up your scene in Houdini as usual, taking care to attach RenderMan (aka RSL) shaders/materials to your geometry instead of VEX ones. Forth, create a RenderMan ROP, set it up, render.

Make sure the that your $HOME/rendermn.ini contains the path to your display driver. Make sure it exists. If you've installed multiple display drivers, there might be multiple lines. Delete the old ones that you don't use. I think only the last specified path is used.

what 've done so far is below. please correct me if i am wrong in any part

HOUDINI_DEFAULT_RIB_RENDERER=C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManProServer-13.5.2\bin\prman.exe

HOUDINI_PATH=\C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManProServer-13.5.2\bin;&

HOUDINI_RI_SHADERPATH=i am confused in here

should it be " C:\Documents and Settings\user\Mydocuments\houdini9.1\ri_shaders"

or " C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 9.1.179\bin\ri_shaders "

or no need for this one

i manage the scene lights,cam,obj,rop>renderman. and proto_install thing. then render.

in my case renderman is 22 and it brings 3 choices to me

which one should i choose. none of the choises works for me. in $home/rendermn.ini file. i delete everything.

after each proto_installing,it is adding new lines. but i can't make it work.

runtime error first,complaning abaout visual c++ runtime library.and the houdini console error massage,that i've mentioned before.

so i am stuck.

i changed HOUDINI_DEFAULT_RIB_RENDERER to prman13.5.2

and HOUDINI_RI_SHADERPATH to C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 9.1.179\houdini\ri_shaders

i can get renders in ip window,if i don't proto install anything. but if i don't do that i. i don't get any shader view in vops. it says you have to instal display driver.as soon as i do, this runtime error thing happens. what are your suggestions.

• 8 months later...
i changed HOUDINI_DEFAULT_RIB_RENDERER to prman13.5.2

and HOUDINI_RI_SHADERPATH to C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 9.1.179\houdini\ri_shaders

i can get renders in ip window,if i don't proto install anything. but if i don't do that i. i don't get any shader view in vops. it says you have to instal display driver.as soon as i do, this runtime error thing happens. what are your suggestions.

i have exaclty the same problem....once i have set the env var in the path for prman as i open houdini i can get render output in the framebuffer window...i think....there is written ip in the top left corner.

when i use proto install to comunicate the display driver to houdini this is no more working.

is this happening becouse of the path where is the display driver_?

should i put the driver in another location instead of the documents windows folder?

this thing is driving me mad!!

thanks in advance

Mat