VEX::How to access a curve

Hi,

is there a way to get a curve in vex. for example I want to deform a geometry with a curve and need the curve for this. so when I evaluate the curve at a specified u value i want to get the position at this point

is it possible?

martin

Hi,

is there a way to get a curve in vex. for example I want to deform a geometry with a curve and need the curve for this. so when I evaluate the curve at a specified u value i want to get the position at this point

is it possible?

martin

You maybe can use a carve to get the desired u in worldspace and feed this into VEX.

Just guessing, though.

Cheers,

Georg

I think this is not very well suited to vex. You can access the points and work out an interpolated position, either find the closest 2 using a point cloud or use the connectivity to find the neighbours. But actually just looking up the position using the u value I don't believe is possible. Maybe in a python sop?

I think this is not very well suited to vex. You can access the points and work out an interpolated position, either find the closest 2 using a point cloud or use the connectivity to find the neighbours. But actually just looking up the position using the u value I don't believe is possible. Maybe in a python sop?

Python + hscript expression unfortunately what makas this thing slow...

What I was thinking recently is, since these are parametric curves..., so with a help of arrays one could represent a curve in vex. All we need is a proper bezier() call for example... Might be interesting to implement it by someone... ;)

Edited by SYmek

You could use a resample-SOP before your VEX-Sop and then use either nearest neighbor sampling or linear interpolation for your curve. By cranking up the samples in the resample-SOP you can control the accuracy for your curve. I've attached an example scene, where a VOP-Sop places a point along a curve. Hope it helps ;-)

curveToVop.hipnc