Flaming box

MIguel P

Hi everyone,

This afternoon I've made a little test scene of fire using particles driven by fluids, similar to another one I did some time ago that must be somewhere in the forum... Anyway, here is this one. I hope you like it.

I'll post the file if you want to see it.

Video: http://www.miguelperezsenent.com/Media/Tests/fire.avi

Miguel

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice!

So far I've seen 2 methods of advecting particles through fluid:

1. The method in Miguel's hip file (fetching the velocity visualization into POPS).

2. The method shown on the "Advecting Particles" from the "Intro to Fluids" video.

The second method is much prettier, only:

1. For some reason I dont have this new advect particles shelf tool (and I downloaded the production 9.5 version)...

2. In this method, one must recalculate the fluid simulation for every change in the particle simulation. This is not the case with Miguel's method.

What do you think about it? Could you do it using the second version, but without recalculating the fluid simulation?

Thanks!

1. For some reason I dont have this new advect particles shelf tool (and I downloaded the production 9.5 version)...

I had been using the later stage of the beta when making the video (I believe it still didn't have an icon at that particular time). It now does have an icon and is simply called "Advect" in the Drive Particles Shelf.

2. In this method, one must recalculate the fluid simulation for every change in the particle simulation. This is not the case with Miguel's method.

What do you think about it? Could you do it using the second version, but without recalculating the fluid simulation?

Thanks!

You actually don't need to recalculate the fluid sim each time. If you cache out the vel fields with a rop geometry node, you can change the "Velocity Volumes" path to something like "/obj/smoke_object1/file1" (without the quotation marks) and it will read it just fine without needing to resimulate the fluids.

I had been using the later stage of the beta when making the video (I believe it still didn't have an icon at that particular time). It now does have an icon and is simply called "Advect" in the Drive Particles Shelf.

You actually don't need to recalculate the fluid sim each time. If you cache out the vel fields with a rop geometry node, you can change the "Velocity Volumes" path to something like "/obj/smoke_object1/file1" (without the quotation marks) and it will read it just fine without needing to resimulate the fluids.

I discovered the Advect by volumes POP two hours ago and I'm using it now. It's much faster than the attribtransfer way!