Nice research paper (Wavelet Turbulence For Fluid Simulation)

digitallysane

It's true, but we are talking of the same program with or without the openmp c++ flag. The only difference of with/without openmp cpu behavior graphic, are thats five small peeks when all cores work together, the rest is normal one core execution. The conclusion is clear, I think.

I can't stress enough that CPU usage is NOT related to performance.

Somewhat unrelated, but using a GPU to accelerate computation really throws this assumption for a loop as well. Because all of the computation is offloaded to the GPU, the CPU sits idle (or near idle). In those cases, the machine appears to be doing nothing but yet gets the job done 20x faster. It is a little strange to see the first time :) In fact, with power-saving technologies enabled (Cool n'Quiet or SpeedStep), the CPU will sometimes even power down to a lower GHz level.

Well, now what I really want is Jeff's MasterClass files (knew I shoulda gone to SIGGRAPH this year :) )

The raw version of the presentation (.hip file clips, powerpoint, etc) is now online on the Website with the other mastercourse materials.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=264

Note that you may still want to use the plugin created earlier - 9.5 Gas Field Vop isn't multithreaded and processes the curl noise once per vx, vy, and vz channels, so is around 12x slower than it could be.

- Jeff

Note that you may still want to use the plugin created earlier - 9.5 Gas Field Vop isn't multithreaded and processes the curl noise once per vx, vy, and vz channels, so is around 12x slower than it could be.

Is this gonna change (soon)? It kinds of frighten me that fluids (and dynamics) which are notoriously slow generally speaking, are not multithreaded fully in Houdini.

I can understand that it might be hard to rewrite for multithreading older modules of Houdini, but for DOPS (which are new) this was part of the design consideration, right?

Dragos

Is this gonna change (soon)? It kinds of frighten me that fluids (and dynamics) which are notoriously slow generally speaking, are not multithreaded fully in Houdini.

I can understand that it might be hard to rewrite for multithreading older modules of Houdini, but for DOPS (which are new) this was part of the design consideration, right?

Multithreading is something very important for Fluids, which is why a lot of it is multithreaded.

The specific case of the Gas Field Vop, however, was not multithreaded in time for the 9.5 release. It is multithreaded in the latest internal version, but the change is rather dangerous to put into 9.5.

The raw version of the presentation (.hip file clips, powerpoint, etc) is now online on the Website with the other mastercourse materials.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=264

- Jeff

nice thx for posting this Jeff

jason

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...