personal study

Hey Marc/Jason,

Please delete this post if I am not allowed to post those images.

I was going to post these in General Chat section, but I guess it was disallowed or something.

---------

Anyway, these are boring I know. It's just my personal sketches/studies. Not sure if I am going to model them. I am still learning to draw (for the rest of my life, yes).

After spending all these time on in front of my monitor, technical manuals, and many experimentation, it just feels really great to just pick up an old time pencil and stay away from noisy computer for a while. In fact, I think I might even take a day or 2 off just to do that. :)

Still... I feel more like a human xerox machine than an artist... Still having a lot of hard time drawing difficult human poses with convincing foreshortening from the top of my head without any references... :(

Brrr...

OK... with all that said.... I think I am ready to get butchered... :unsure:

post-21-1027297808.jpg

Hi,

Well, this sort of thing keeps us all sane, doesn't it? B)

When I was still in school, studying computer arts, I would take as many sculpture classes as I could (and I always had to convince my department heads that this is somehow helping my computer skills.... :rolleyes: ). Diggin your hands into clay is a really nice change after hammering away at a keyboard and looking at a monitor for most of the day.

Anyhoo, keep it up.

Snej

post-21-1027355042.jpg

Hi,

Well, this sort of thing keeps us all sane, doesn't it?   B)

When I was still in school, studying computer arts, I would take as many sculpture classes as I could (and I always had to convince my department heads that this is somehow helping my computer skills.... :rolleyes: ).  Diggin your hands into clay is a really nice change after hammering away at a keyboard and looking at a monitor for most of the day.  

Anyhoo, keep it up.

Snej

Yeah. Seriously. A lot of time I actually kicking myself for not taking high school math seriously. :(

But yeah, eventhough I can't draw professionally, drawing out the subject that I am about to model helps me visualize and get to know the form much better. But of course, solving the problem of topology can be tricky at the time. And, boy, rerouting the topology can be a nightmare at times. But THANK GOODNESS for Houdini's procedural approach. I can branch out and redo the model without worrying about destroying the previous works!

Man. Houdini is just freaking awesome!!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Marc. :)

I still have weakness in drawing hairs. However, after studying the early 20th century (??) artist Alfanso Mucha's composition, I am beginning to have a better understanding of line of action and composition. Thus that helped me out a lot better at hair and how I can use hair to enhance the composition itself.

I'll try to post some more when I feel sufficiently confident about the drawings... ;)

I really would like to try digital painting one of these days.

Cheers,

Alex

reviving this thread!! :P :P :P

Your drawings are looking great, as with anything, you have to learn by doing it over and over. Simply put, we all have a set amount of *crap work* nested in our system, some have more *crap* than others...the more you do, the faster you will become a master. (sounds easy huh?!). Deffinately not saying your work is crap by the way :D

"I am beginning to have a better understanding of line of action and composition"

Its cool seeing 3D people finding a balance with tech/art. Maybe its just me, but it seems most "3D artists" ignore composition, lighting, and colors altogether.

As an argument against my own ramblings one could deffinately say, "I want my demo reel to be to the point", eg. I model, heres a bunch of models...all good to, but we are in the business of creating images which need to move an audience, this includes uderstanding how to piece together elements of a scene.

Ok Iam done!! Good work Alex. Keep 'em coming :D

Thank you for your advice, Mike! :)

The drawing on the first post was drawn the 3rd time. :) The first time I need to get to know and study the subject. The second time is where I need to to study the form a bit. The third time, well, is the drawing. :D

I actually find it rather difficult nowaday to keep up a good balance between traditional art and the technical understanding of digital arts. Right now the things that frustrate me most is my own lack of knowledge and experience... :(

Right know, I still have not successfully created any artwork that my heart is so longing to see at all... There is just a piece of nostalgic feelings of my childhood from a different country is what I am trying to bring into my artwork. Just wanted to convey sense of longing through my artwork, I guess.

But hey, I'll keep on trying even til the last day of my life. :D

Cheers,

ALex