Houdini for Cell platforms?

hoknamahn

I never thought much would come from the SESI+Cell dealy, but you're right, it's right there under the production builds. :blink:

Those ZEGO racks basically look like PS3s with more RAM. I wonder if this version of Houdini would run on PS3. I know about the limitations of Linux on it, and IIRC Houdini won't even start without OpenGL, but maybe hrender....? Would be fun to goof with if it worked.

From my standpoint I think it is fair to say that for 10k$ it has to outdo two 2x quad core equipped render nodes that costs about the same to become everyone's choice. However, i am aware that those racks most probably have far better performance/watt ratio.

From my standpoint I think it is fair to say that for 10k$ it has to outdo two 2x quad core equipped render nodes that costs about the same to become everyone's choice. However, i am aware that those racks most probably have far better performance/watt ratio.

Good point. But there is also _x86_-compatible platform which has to be energy efficient

http://gizmodo.com/5091473/sgi-molecule-pa...-of-awesomeness :lol:

The VFX biz started talking about this in 2007...and it's hard to find relevant articles since. Anything's possible, I suppose, but I don't see companies racing to implement a brand new architecture that requires significant porting expertise on the part of their suppliers to really take advantage of it...

We'll see, I guess, either it will explode and become a major force, or it will slowly disappear...apart from a build appearing on the sesi website, I haven't seen anything else...

Cheers,

J.C.

Maybe it's intended for hobbyists who'd like to play around with it - those hobbyists who like to spend over 20k $ on their hobby ;) I recall having slides of a talk by I think Andrew regarding the performance gains and whatnots of the Cell WRT raytracing and dynamics. Consensus was that for some operations, the SPUs were quite fast, but overall, the performance gains were nothing to write home about. I came to similar conclusions a few years ago when I was evaluating porting a commercial renderer to the platform.

Maybe that will all change once IBM or sony start stacking the cell cores, but til then I think the marketing effect of this release is larger than its impact on production.

cheers,

Abdelkareem

I would expect 3-5x performance boost for cell machines (per $). This is the only way I imagine to convince market to assimilate new technology. Otherwise things most probably will go like you said.

PS Of course the history shown that any specialized technology has short and miserable life in that industry. The simpler the better.