imageplanes and PBR

i think there is a complete missunderstanding on my side....

how could anyone use mantra and PBR in production without multipassrendering ?

There are no AOV's in PBR in 9.5, I'm afraid. You have to render multiple times to get individual components/mattes/etc. However, stay faithful because H10 is around the corner:)

ok ... you mean i can render different objects a.s.o

rendering multiple times i ok for me but how to get a render with diffuse reflect spec a.s.o.

sorry but i do not know what you mean with AOV's and you ve said different mattes and components are possible....

but how if the planes does not work at all

thx

ok ... you mean i can render different objects a.s.o

rendering multiple times i ok for me but how to get a render with diffuse reflect spec a.s.o.

sorry but i do not know what you mean with AOV's and you ve said different mattes and components are possible....

but how if the planes does not work at all

thx

You cannot split out reflections vs diffuse vs flat texture or whatever in PBR in 9.5. And you can't really zero out components (like zero the diffuse to get the spec only) because all the illumination is very intertwined. PBR in 9.5 is can only really produce a single beauty image. If you want mattes and such, you can do it the Non-PBR engines in completely different render passes.

And you're right; those people who have used PBR in production have done so being aware of that limitation, produced mattes and control renders (like fresnel intensity, for instance) in separate non-PBR passes. In H10, this is all possible - so please hang on for a few more weeks:)

AOVs are short for Arbitrary Output Variables. And It means exporting variables from the shader to separate image planes (passes). Those variables can be spec, diffuse, ambient occlusion, z depth ....etc.

what jason means is that you cannot export passes from PBR "Yet". But you can render multiple times with different settings for the shaders. For example you can set the diffuse color of the shader to black and leave the spec color as it is to get a fake spec pass. It's a bit tedious i know but if you really need it, well that's the price to pay for now.

hth