resolution of geo

itriix

right now, i'm trying to render out a "simple" animated matte for a city. the geo is made up of "poly mesh" and "polys"... unless i bump up the resolution to something RIDICULOUS, the "animated matte" just seems *squarish*... and choppy. and not really "interpolated" like i'd expect from nurbs for example. so i'm curious what suggestions everyone has on how to get around this? or must i really just crank up the res to some insane amt?

right now, i'm trying to render out a "simple" animated matte for a city. the geo is made up of "poly mesh" and "polys"... unless i bump up the resolution to something RIDICULOUS, the "animated matte" just seems *squarish*... and choppy. and not really "interpolated" like i'd expect from nurbs for example. so i'm curious what suggestions everyone has on how to get around this? or must i really just crank up the res to some insane amt?

Most probably this is related to point/vertex normals. Houdini works with point attributes of that kind, while Mantra needs vertex one to render sharp edges on geometry. Otherwise it will be interpolate normals across primitives which looks strange on angular geometry. If your geometry doesn't specify explicitly normals, turn off "Automatically Compute Normals" on a Render/Geometry Tab of your object. In case you have your normals on geo, make sure it was properly computed for vertices, not points. See example.

cheers,

skk.

vertex_point_normals.hip.zip

hello everyone, thanks for the responses.

So, i fixed my problem... I feel totally stupid now but in fact, i was able to "change" my geometry to "nurbs" and that fixed the whole problem... however, the question still applies to some of the models where the points have been edited and moved, and those adjustments don't really allow me to go back and change the "type" of the model.

and so, as the animated mask, "selects" points, to "color black", when it hits the "lo res" hand built geometry, that's where the "choppy" square look happens in the matte. What would be a good way to upres this without it destroying the model. (poly mesh)

the original problem however was fixed easily because the buildings were simply "boxes" with uniform divisions. nothing too different between mesh and nurbs when i made the change.

it's just the custom geometry, such as "vehicles" a few vehicles

i did create a "basic" hip to show my original problem however. even tho i understand the fix can be just switching over to nurbs. but in cases where i can't, i'd like to still find a resolution to it also

loresgeo.hip

Edited by itriix

jeez okay well i fixed this problem too. i just needed to use a subdivide node on the hand crafted" model. for some reason in the past, when i used subd, it didn't seem to work out for me however this time it worked fantastically :)

Depending on whether you're using the mask for shading or for further operating on the geometry, maybe you could use a shader approach for the mask.

You could query an sdf volume representation of your mask object and use it as a mask inside your shader, that way the resulting mask would be independent of the geometry resolution. If you're using the mask for something else - just forget i said anything :)

eetu.

well i'm using the geometry in two ways, one for "projection mapping" and the other is so that, i can have the city, "dissolve out" based on the bouding geometry... which is driving the color. base color would be white, and then as the geometry points fall into the "bound object" it will turn black... therefore i can just render that out as a black and white matte, and use it in comp to have a 3d fading alpha matte for fun fantastic effects ;)

however, i could definately just render them seperately *one for projection mapping* and one for the fade mask if the fade mask sdf way is going to be that much more effective in the very end

and that said, you're sdf approach sounds awesome! might take me a little while to figure out how to set it up, but i'll give it a try for fun. right now i have the "subd" method working enough to get my problem solved so i'm going with that due to time.... however, YES i definately want to try out the sdf way too

sounds really really good

and thank you all again

Jonathan

Edited by itriix