michael

After seeing the trailer, I'm looking forward to it about as much as I am the next Robert Zemeckis film. Which is to say, I remain ever unimpressed with the ultra-real style of cg.

Edited by Allegro

well thats the first, unimpressed comment ive heard so far.

I'm not gonna watch the trailer or teaser since i would rather be surprised.

I thought i hadn't seen anything on this film but i did see one concept shot a while ago and it was very colorful. Somehow i thought it might not work, but time will tell.

would i be right in thinking this isnt Benjamin Button where the CG will try to remain part of the background as possible or is the visual style very strong so that its impossible to achieve such a style without the use of vfx.

Remember pirates 2, that was an awesome balance of realism / visual style.

well thats the first, unimpressed comment ive heard so far.

I'm not gonna watch the trailer or teaser since i would rather be surprised.

I thought i hadn't seen anything on this film but i did see one concept shot a while ago and it was very colorful. Somehow i thought it might not work, but time will tell.

would i be right in thinking this isnt Benjamin Button where the CG will try to remain part of the background as possible or is the visual style very strong so that its impossible to achieve such a style without the use of vfx.

Remember pirates 2, that was an awesome balance of realism / visual style.

From the time Cameron announced Avatar in 96, his goal was to have cg actors that you couldn't tell were cg. That's supposedly why he waited so long, was so that technology could catch up to his vision and let him do it. I just don't get it though. When characters become too realistic I start thinking to myself... "why is that not a real person? The shading is wrong... something's off... that's a zombie.". I think that ultra real people serve their purpose. If it's a shot here and there to stand in for some stunts... something that a person can't/shouldn't be doing, well then hey... go for it. I don't know... some people dig it. People like Beowulf, and Polar Express... and now they'll have something else they can enjoy. It's not for me though.

From the time Cameron announced Avatar in 96, his goal was to have cg actors that you couldn't tell were cg. That's supposedly why he waited so long, was so that technology could catch up to his vision and let him do it. I just don't get it though. When characters become too realistic I start thinking to myself... "why is that not a real person? The shading is wrong... something's off... that's a zombie.". I think that ultra real people serve their purpose. If it's a shot here and there to stand in for some stunts... something that a person can't/shouldn't be doing, well then hey... go for it. I don't know... some people dig it. People like Beowulf, and Polar Express... and now they'll have something else they can enjoy. It's not for me though.

I have to agree with you the characters looked dead. The environments on the other hand looked great.

I agree that the characters look quite fake. I thought that the hair and the plants looked pretty awesome. I thought that the profile view of the floating islands had an incredible lack of depth because nothing was overlapping, not to mention they look like cards. I also hear they are compositing 75% of the movie in after effects. I've got an rsvp to see the 15 minutes of footage tomorrow evening, so I'll post on how well it stands up in stereo. From what I've seen thus far, It does not live up to the hype, especially if you are a 3d artist. Plus I found matte edges and dirty compositing(go through the sequence where the guy gets eaten by the dragon while he is in the chopper frame-by-frame and look at the edges). You can download the trailer here instead of streaming it form the apple site: My http://trailerhunter.blogspot.com/2009/08/must-watch-first-official-avatar.html

I agree that the characters look quite fake. I thought that the hair and the plants looked pretty awesome. I thought that the profile view of the floating islands had an incredible lack of depth because nothing was overlapping, not to mention they look like cards. I also hear they are compositing 75% of the movie in after effects. I've got an rsvp to see the 15 minutes of footage tomorrow evening, so I'll post on how well it stands up in stereo. From what I've seen thus far, It does not live up to the hype, especially if you are a 3d artist. Plus I found matte edges and dirty compositing(go through the sequence where the guy gets eaten by the dragon while he is in the chopper frame-by-frame and look at the edges). You can download the trailer here instead of streaming it form the apple site: My http://trailerhunter.blogspot.com/2009/08/must-watch-first-official-avatar.html

Nuke (thefoundry.co.uk) is the main compositing software used in avatar.

Hey Guys

nuke is definitely a big player, for re-projection, 3d Geo comps, stereo alignment, cc and keying, because its got some great tools for that.

The main package for compositing weta is shake, in as far as what do artists we comp with, for various big reasons because we have a ton of propriety 3d compositing and stereo tech that we havent ported to nuke... yet.

unless after effects is being used somewhere else, its not being used by us at all, and we're only outsourcing a portion of the movie, so i dont think that figure is accurate.

In as far as the floating rocks etc, thats all 3d, sadly every leaf, except for the really distant stuff.

But i do agree, some of the trailer looks rushed :) as im sure anyone knows, when studios go.... we want that shot by next week and u look up the status of the shot and its still in layout :)

:)

hey

i really like it, the character designs are interesting, i think the "saturated" feel is a good change from the last few more gritty looking films.

as far as the quality, yes it does feel rushed, but it is the first teaser.

i'm really interested to hear peoples opinions that have seen it in 3d.

any of your shots in the teaser brain? the heli one maybe?:)

jason

Bryce, after effects and 2d paintings. This will be a winner for sure! Actually now that you mention it, the blue dudes do look a little 'poser-ish'. Are we sure this isn't being done by Wetta the little known knock off studio?

...uh.. oh wait, we're supposed to keep this thread focused.

It's hard for me to say really. Lots of quick cuts with lots of strange looking environments and characters make it very hard to judge anything. Some of the animation looks a little off, but I'd have to see the full shot to make any real comments. As far as the teaser goes... well I knew nothing about the story before and now I still know nothing about the story except that there are some blue aliens in it.

Awesome.

M

went to the Avatar Day screening on Friday - IMAX+3D...

character design issues aside...

it was FUCKING INCREDIBLE!

possibly the best CG I've ever seen...I'd like to see it again to really examine it but in every respect it was astonishing work, and the trailer doesn't begin to do it justice...

I hate when people say "oh, you have to see it on the big screen..." etc...but in the case of Avatar it's true...

• 3 months later...