Waterfall rendering

lukeiamyourfather

I'm working on rendering a waterfall with some success. The original simulation is about 12 million SPH particles (from RealFlow) which look alright rendered, but you can see individual particles which takes away from the effect of white rushing water. In an effort to reduce the visibility of individual particles I've copied a small cloud of particle onto each original simulation particle. This looks great but uses almost all of the 32GB in the workstation to render, ideally I need to keep it under 16GB so it can run on render nodes.

Any ideas on how to make 12 million particles look like 50 million or more that can be done with 16GB of memory? There's no Houdini guru in the building so I'm open to any and all ideas. Maybe sprites could work but I'm fairly new to Houdini, is 12 million sprites doable? Or maybe some sort of volume rendering? Not sure where to start with that or if its reasonable to consider. Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm rendering with Mantra 10.0 for the show.

Edited by lukeiamyourfather

Haven't tried it myself but the first thing that comes to mind is this:

http://www.digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/clusterThis/index.html

That said, it'd be awfully nice to have a Mantra point procedural with CVEX controls in the next minor version of H10.

I'm working on rendering a waterfall with some success. The original simulation is about 12 million SPH particles (from RealFlow) which look alright rendered, but you can see individual particles which takes away from the effect of white rushing water. In an effort to reduce the visibility of individual particles I've copied a small cloud of particle onto each original simulation particle. This looks great but uses almost all of the 32GB in the workstation to render, ideally I need to keep it under 16GB so it can run on render nodes.

Any ideas on how to make 12 million particles look like 50 million or more that can be done with 16GB of memory? There's no Houdini guru in the building so I'm open to any and all ideas. Maybe sprites could work but I'm fairly new to Houdini, is 12 million sprites doable? Or maybe some sort of volume rendering? Not sure where to start with that or if its reasonable to consider. Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm rendering with Mantra 10.0 for the show.

you could also use wedge to render multiple passes of the same simulation with slightly different motion - then comp them together...

What do you mean by a slightly different motion? I mean since the simulation is coming out of real flow. Do you mean slightly different motion blur setting?

Cheers