HOT release - 1.0rc8

eloop

humm...

I made HOT success yesterday night in win64.

I just try HOT with WIN64 hotsrc and hotbin in win32 platform, it doesn't work yet.

So I need to wait win32 version release if I wanna use it in win32 platform.

Nice work, Drew.

Thank you*100000000.

Edited by jacys

I'm having trouble getting this to work on Mac.

I have added to my houdini.env file HOUDINI_PATH="/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8;&" (This is where I placed the OTL). I confirmed this path is set using hconfig -a command in the houdini terminal. On startup, the terminal reports the following error:

Houdini DSO - error on '/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Ocean.dylib'
	dlopen(/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Ocean.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Ocean.dylib: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Houdini DSO - error on '/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/VEX_Ocean.dylib'
	dlopen(/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/VEX_Ocean.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/VEX_Ocean.dylib: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Houdini DSO - error on '/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Cleave.dylib'
	dlopen(/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Cleave.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Cleave.dylib: unknown required load command 0x80000022

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in the binary version?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm assuming you managed to compile from source, ie hython setup.py bdist?

Hi,

I was waiting for win32 version of HOT until I find the win32 folder in src folder.

And I used it to compile in win32 platform, it works.

A couple of questions, have you upgraded to Snow Leopard ? Also, are you sure that the examples aren't working, even after these errors ?

-Drew

I'm having trouble getting this to work on Mac.

I have added to my houdini.env file HOUDINI_PATH="/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8;&" (This is where I placed the OTL). I confirmed this path is set using hconfig -a command in the houdini terminal. On startup, the terminal reports the following error:

Houdini DSO - error on '/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Ocean.dylib'
	dlopen(/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Ocean.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Ocean.dylib: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Houdini DSO - error on '/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/VEX_Ocean.dylib'
	dlopen(/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/VEX_Ocean.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/VEX_Ocean.dylib: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Houdini DSO - error on '/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Cleave.dylib'
	dlopen(/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Cleave.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/aswaab/Documents/HoudiniOTLs/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8/dso/SOP_Cleave.dylib: unknown required load command 0x80000022

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in the binary version?

A couple of questions, have you upgraded to Snow Leopard ? Also, are you sure that the examples aren't working, even after these errors ?

-Drew

Hi Drew, thanks for the reply.

No, I have not upgraded to Snow Leopard.

As for the examples working, I was not really sure what to check there. I looked for DSOs related to "Ocean" and did not see any. I did not try to load the example files. I can try that tonight or tomorrow night and see if they work.

Hi Drew, thanks for the reply.

No, I have not upgraded to Snow Leopard.

As for the examples working, I was not really sure what to check there. I looked for DSOs related to "Ocean" and did not see any. I did not try to load the example files. I can try that tonight or tomorrow night and see if they work.

I just checked. The example files do not work. They load with a bunch of errors and warnings, and nothing really seams to be happening in the file - well, nothing ocean like.

I just downloaded the zip file from google and checked that it works on my mac, and it does. But I have upgraded to Snow Leopard and I made the binaries using it. I would suggest building your own version of the binaries, see the documentation page linked on the google code site. BTW I wouldn't recommend you go to Snow Leopard as houdini has a pretty severe problem with display on nVidia cards. The number of possible platforms continues to grow, I can't wait for Windows 7 ...

-Drew

I just checked. The example files do not work. They load with a bunch of errors and warnings, and nothing really seams to be happening in the file - well, nothing ocean like.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to get HOT working on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 (NOT SNOW LEOPARD)

I tried installing the binaries to the correct locations and seem to be running into the same issues i've read in all of the "mac installation" issues posts... *So, i'm assuming, since the binary was compiled using Snow Leopard, that might be the reason it's not working on just original Leopard*... That's when I decided to try and compile it for myself. so I downloaded XTools for Mac, *not the snow leopard version* and then tried to follow the simple compile example using hcustom SOP_Star.C but it failed to compile, giving me this warning:

cc1plus: warning: command line option "-fobjc-gc-only" is valid for ObjC/ObjC++ but not for C++

So then I looked around some more on the forums and found a bunch of dead ends... people asking for suggestions, who also have this issue. Thought i'd check in here and see if I could get any advice... Thoughts, suggestions, any advice for me?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

That warning is just that, not an error, and it's been around for quite a while on osx houdini. Are you sure that the build isn't working ? See if you have a "Star" surface node available, or you can do

> ls ~/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/dso/

where you should see SOP_Star.dylib.

(BTW, does anyone know why Sidefx deprecated $HIH ??)

-Drew

I've been trying to get HOT working on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 (NOT SNOW LEOPARD)

I tried installing the binaries to the correct locations and seem to be running into the same issues i've read in all of the "mac installation" issues posts... *So, i'm assuming, since the binary was compiled using Snow Leopard, that might be the reason it's not working on just original Leopard*... That's when I decided to try and compile it for myself. so I downloaded XTools for Mac, *not the snow leopard version* and then tried to follow the simple compile example using hcustom SOP_Star.C but it failed to compile, giving me this warning:

cc1plus: warning: command line option "-fobjc-gc-only" is valid for ObjC/ObjC++ but not for C++

So then I looked around some more on the forums and found a bunch of dead ends... people asking for suggestions, who also have this issue. Thought i'd check in here and see if I could get any advice... Thoughts, suggestions, any advice for me?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Edited by eloop

Hi Drew,

I can't seem to find the Sop_Star.dylib... I don't think it was created due to the failure to compile the code.

I tried once more and here is the message:

hcustom SOP_Star.C

Making SOP_Star.o and /Users/Jonathan/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/dso/SOP_Star.dylib from SOP_Star.C

/var/folders/i6/i6K05XQ2Ea41iH3dqeNjYE+++TI/-Tmp-//ccBlcPJG.s:unknown:FATAL:can't create output file: SOP_Star.o

Compile failed

Appreciate the response, any other thoughts for me?

Jonathan

Looks like a file permissions problem. Are you copying the SOP_Star.* files from $HT/samples/SOP to a folder you own ? You can't compile them in place.

-Drew

Hi Drew,

I can't seem to find the Sop_Star.dylib... I don't think it was created due to the failure to compile the code.

I tried once more and here is the message:

hcustom SOP_Star.C

Making SOP_Star.o and /Users/Jonathan/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/dso/SOP_Star.dylib from SOP_Star.C

/var/folders/i6/i6K05XQ2Ea41iH3dqeNjYE+++TI/-Tmp-//ccBlcPJG.s:unknown:FATAL:can't create output file: SOP_Star.o

Compile failed

Appreciate the response, any other thoughts for me?

Jonathan

Looks like a file permissions problem. Are you copying the SOP_Star.* files from $HT/samples/SOP to a folder you own ? You can't compile them in place.

-Drew

wow fast response! I tried:

cd /Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.401/Resources/toolkit/samples/SOP/

then ran the command:

hcustom SOP_Star.C

then got that set of error messages...

Just read your message and copied the "samples" folder to the desktop...

then i navigated to that folder:

cd /Users/Jonathan/Desktop/toolkit/samples/SOP/

then ran:

hcustom SOP_Star.C

and got the same error:

/var/folders/i6/i6K05XQ2Ea41iH3dqeNjYE+++TI/-Tmp-//ccVwZEsx.s:unknown:FATAL:can't create output file: SOP_Star.o

Compile failed

I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge on this one

**EDIT**

maybe i need to change the permissions on the copy and pasted folder

**EDIT**

Successfuly compiled :)

Just had to chmod 777 the crap out of all of those folders! (not recommended i know, but just on the copy and pasted folder i made for testing this all out)

I greatly appreciate your advice on this one!

Jonathan

Edited by itriix

Glad that worked.

I notice that the $HT/samples/SOP folder is readonly on OSX. So for others who want to compile HDK samples under OSX, this sequence works -

> cd $HOME
> mkdir tmp
> cd tmp
> cp -r $HT/samples/SOP .
> chmod -R u+w SOP
> cd SOP
> hcustom SOP_Star.C

-Drew

Under Linux -

> ls -ld $HT/samples/SOP
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-10-15 17:43 /opt/hfs10.0.430/toolkit/samples/SOP

Under OSX

> ls -ld $HT/samples/SOP
dr-xr-xr-x  45 root  admin  1530 16 Oct 21:56 /Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/toolkit/samples/SOP

So when you copy it somewhere you still end up not being able to hcustom the file in place.

-Drew

Hmm ... Doesn't Linux have the same problem if you run "hcustom SOP_Star.C" from $HT/samples?

Edited by eloop