Finished Yogurt Animation/Simulation

Overload

Hello again. I guess the gallery is still down, maybe someone can point me how to submit this (provided you think its worthy). This is a product demo that we just completed for a new Yogurt commercial. We were challenged with making a highly detailed animation of yogurt, which would have been very difficult if done practical. In the end, there were two different versions and only one was used for the final spot.

All the elements in this shot passed through Houdini, RealFlow, Maya, and rendered with Vray. The berries and chocolate swirls were all procedurally made, and now have a cool Digital Asset for each.

A system for creating procedural impacts of all the elements was built, so they did not have to be simulated. While working on the first version, there were so many tweaks and changes, that relying on straight simulation was not an option. RealFlow gives great results for the fluids, but additional details are sometimes needed. The impact network let me adjust every detail down to the profile of the impact, and the resulting deformation from it. After the mesh from RealFlow was completed, it was passed through Houdini to have all the deformations applied. And with a custom bgeo importer for Maya, brought back in and rendered in Vray. A better breakdown is soon to follow, but here are a few videos. Hope you like, comments welcome!!

Final Demo

Final Demo V2

Final Mesh Playblast

Radium

Reelfx

MyHomepage

Edited by Overload

I like the second version a lot better. The camera makes it up right when the yogurt on top is done pouring. The first one is a little slow in my opinion. Houdini is definitely the best at making raspberries. Nice work! :D

Edited by mightcouldb1

Great job!!!!

Any chance of posting any of the assets, by chance?

Thanks.

Sorry but I can't post any assets, they wouldn't work outside the studio anyway. If it was a personal project I wouldn't have a problem with doing that.

The entire commercial was going on for about 2-3 months. During that time, I was responsible for all the technical and animation aspects of the product demo. While another artist worked on the lighting and shading, as I passed him assets. Most of the time on my end was spent developing the fluid settings, and building tools to modify the RF mesh inside Houdini. A great deal of time was also put towards the art direction, and making sure I could meet client notes and direction. I can easily say that getting something like food to look correct and match the actual product, is very difficult.