centos vs rh vs fedora

i've been using fedora 17. it's a pain because of the frequent updates which make things break. simple things are just broken. i would just like to have a stable OS. i always feel like the rug is being pulled from underneath me.

i was thinking about switching to centos or rh.

centos is basically rh without the branding and support (with centos receiving updates a little later)?

my main concern is the nvidia driver. currently centos uses an older version (290) of the nvidia driver?

how is it updating the latest nvidia drivers and how well do they work? do they work as well with the older kernel that centos uses?

how stable is houdini with centos?

Fedora can be stable and reliable enough but it depends on how you set things up. For example if you install graphics drivers directly from Nvidia (or AMD) every time the kernel is updated they will break. If you install the graphics drivers from RPM Fusion they will compile a new kernel module when the kernel gets updated. Having said that I'm not a fan of Fedora because of the extremely short release life cycle and temporary nature. Fedora is basically the beta of RHEL.

If given the choice I'd use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which will be supported until April of 2017 and has things like graphics drivers in the official repositories. CentOS is a good option in theory because CentOS 5 and 6 will be supported for a decade but their track record has been hit and miss (in particular punctuality).

Yep - i use Mint Maya 13 and houdini runs perfectly.

Erik - does Maya not install too well in Mint?

Since Mint is based on Ubuntu (which is based on Debian) it uses Debian packages (DEB) instead of Redhat Packages (RPM). Maya can be installed but you have to jump through some hoops to do it. Worth noting that Autodesk won't support Maya on Debian or any Debian based Linux distribution so if you run into trouble you're on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah I see - thanks for that Luke - I didn't know that.

By the way - your Linux tutorials on CMIVFX were really excellent - and set me on the Linux road - many thanks for that.

Luckily - i don't need Maya right now........

• 3 months later...

luke's linux lesson at cmivfx is the only one i know of directed specifically at a VFX.

it is a good one.

Luke Olson himself is the author of those lessons in CMI :)

I'm just going ahead and agree with Luke here, I've been using Ubuntu Studio for few years now and it has been doing fantastic job on Houdini, specially with its graphic drivers.

• 3 years later...