Convert Hair to Geo + Export it

Hey Luke,

Yes, I'm using the shelf tools. On a smooth shaded view I can see the hair with some kind of thickness. On a wireframe view I can see it's only a line/guide.

It would be enough if I could give this line any kind of thickness to export it.
It would be perfect if I could export a mesh just like the way I see it on the viewport, with thickness at the base and a point at the top ;)

orXURW2.gif

That just looks like the @width parameter facing the camera, not really a mesh.

Have you tried Polywire?

You could try a Convert on the hair wires/curves without any Polywire. The help page says curves are stored in Alembic files as open polygon primitives.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

You can always bypass the standard output and just grab the rendertime geo yourself (keeping in mind that this can get heavy).

Dive inside the fur asset and you will fin another node called fur. Inside of that is the goemetry that is currently being displayed as well as the geometry that it will switch to at render time. Override this and you should get geo that can be put in an alembic.

fur1.PNG

fur2.PNG

fur3.PNG

• Like 2

Yeah Atom, polywire is exactly what I was looking for. For some reason I always forget it's name!

Thx Gavin, I'm exporting from this fur node and it's working perfectly. I've just added a few nodes to control it's thickness properly. 

I'm attaching a working scene file in case someone else have this same doubt. 
Thx :D

Here's what i've added to the fur node: 2Kr80CZ.jpg

Hair Export.rar