Tree and Foliage Tools

Vexosaur

Thank you. I have done multiple tree building tutorials, and it has made me understand not only Houdini better, but also on how a tree, like a central nervous system, is not a simple item once you look at growth, age, materials etc.

A tool such as yours, is a welcome addition to the powerful things that Houdini does.... depending on the work put in. So I ponied up the full amount $$ even though I am running the NC edition. You deserve it for the work put in.....

Now if only I can find a decent sea shell tutorial, based on the work that Deborah Fowler uses for her students. Again, I dont want to hijack anything, I want to learn how and I think this is a good revenue stream for everyone that is using Gumroad etc. Sorry to ramble. Thanks again for the tool.

• Thanks 1

Yep, that was what I had seen on vimeo in a few places. All of them were part of a visual effects coursework. So many people have been given the same task for more than a few years. While I have been able to get the basic form of the shell from the formulas that are available online, the finer detail of building a tool would be a good tutorial on selecting parts of the shell with specific adjustments. Anyhoo. TIA.

Glad you are liking the tool and I appreciate the purchase. The shell is an interesting idea, I’ll add it too my list. I’m thinking I’ll start doing tutorials for how I actually make tools, the not super complex ones anyway. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Aragatory, are you still planning on updating your Tree Asset? Seems cool enough. I have bought TheGrove3D, because I dig the 'let the tree grow' thing, but yours seem like a nice tool, too.

Still would be nice if you have any plans as you mentioned before with adapting more to the new new 16.5 features and so on...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2018 at 10:37 PM, Palipala said:

Hi Aragatory, are you still planning on updating your Tree Asset? Seems cool enough. I have bought TheGrove3D, because I dig the 'let the tree grow' thing, but yours seem like a nice tool, too.

Still would be nice if you have any plans as you mentioned before with adapting more to the new new 16.5 features and so on...

Cheers

Don't have any plans to add to this at this point in time, there are already quite a lot of really nice tree growing/making systems around.  I do have plans for some other things though, that aren't already done so well.

Too sad. :( 

Oh well, I have already bought your asset and I like it pretty much. I see a lot of potential in it. And I think that there aren't as much good Tree generators as you presume. Speedtree has a crazy price point, Onyx and XFrog haven't been updated for a long time now, and The Grove 3D (which is really nice) but doesn't have the flexibility Houdini provides. So quite some potential :)

I hope that you won't totally abandon your Tree asset (or you should maybe state it as abandonware on Gumroad, so potential buyers know what to (not) expect in the future).

3 minutes ago, Palipala said:

Too sad. :( 

Oh well, I have already bought your asset and I like it pretty much. I see a lot of potential in it. And I think that there aren't as much good Tree generators as you presume. Speedtree has a crazy price point, Onyx and XFrog haven't been updated for a long time now, and The Grove 3D (which is really nice) but doesn't have the flexibility Houdini provides. So quite some potential :)

I hope that you won't totally abandon your Tree asset (or you should maybe state it as abandonware on Gumroad, so potential buyers know what to (not) expect in the future).

Ultimately I would like to update it to use a system like this https://vimeo.com/229252148 .

It's finding the time to work on it, though since people still seem to be enjoying it and using it maybe I'll be more inspired to find the time.

Ah, the Anastasia Video, lovely, so inspirational and demotivational at the same time :)

I know about your little spare time, you wrote about it, but I still bought your tool, because it has so much potential and is fun to use, too. So no regrets.

I would really be totally happy, if you could find some time to bring your tool to a new level, something like Anastasia? nahh don't want to think about this, would cost me my sleep :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2018 at 11:21 AM, MichaelD said:

Hi! I wonder how to learn to make such cool tools by myself. Can you please direct me to your learning resources?
Thank you!

For this sort of thing I didn't really have any learning resource, honestly the best way to learn(for me anyway) is to just try make things.  Start simply, all this stuff is just lots of simply steps layered on top of each other.  Doing tutorials will only get you so far, having to problem solve for your own projects will teach you so much more and it will stick a lot better...even if it does take ten times longer to make something to start with lol.

Here are a few useful resources though:

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/?title=Houdini

https://vimeo.com/anopara

https://www.sidefx.com/learn/getting_started/

also research papers are really useful for somethings,

https://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/images/upload_library/23/picado/seashells/introdeng.html

like this one I used for my procedural shell tool.

Edited by Vexosaur

• 8 months later...