A Few Shaders

davido

Hi guys

This is my first attemt to write shaders in houdini, so tell me what you guys think :)

ice.jpg

This is my ice shader, had little bit of fun comping it too :D

rock.jpg

Rock shader

ocean.jpg

and the ocean shader, i was pretty proud of myself when i finished this one, the shader puts white-water (foam if you will) when the geometry reaches a certain height.

Thanks alot guys, it is nice to know you like it.

If anybody has a different way of making similar shaders or even a different/better way of setting up the network then it would be really cool too see.

Like sum][one saidand i agree

I always love to see other people jobs.. i learn a lot from 'em.

• 4 weeks later...

Modified the ice shader to include refractions, by doing that i was able to get the deep

spec to give it a sense of thickness and also those deep blue color you tend to get when ice gets old and dense.

Comments and crits welcome :)

icemod.jpg

Thanks guys, yeah there is a fine line between ice and water and i guess it depends greatly on the geometry it is on, but i tried rendering it on a flat grid and here it is :)

flatice.jpg

and oh yeah, the bunny will freeze for sure :)

yea that looks alot more like ice now without the wavieness :). just out of curiosity, are they teaching VEX at VFS now? Here at SCAD we have Houdini courses, but no real classes on VEX only renderman, which i guess will help out with VEX. Nice work man, i like it. B)

yea that looks alot more like ice now without the wavieness :).  just out of curiosity, are they teaching VEX at VFS now?  Here at SCAD we have Houdini courses, but no real classes on VEX only renderman, which i guess will help out with VEX.  Nice work man, i like it. B)

28586[/snapback]

Hey man, VEX is not covered in depth in the course at VFS, it only covers the basic usage of VEX. I just happened to take particular interest in it and learned it on my own. I am not aware of any school that has concentrated classes on VEX though, but yeah i guess Renderman will help out a lot.

I am glad you like it man. :)

I know this was sort of WIP related, but I thought it would be more beneficial to keep in the newly minted shader forum.

M

28592[/snapback]

Yeah you are probably right, it serves better purpose there :)

thx man :)

This lookin a lot more like it. I would try breaking it up a bit, deep cracks and such. maybe bit of snow around for contrast. ice can have many different looks depending on context. this looks a bit like a hockey rink without a zambonie.

Hey Jeff

i agree with that and i will deffinately try to do something with snow patches in the near future :)

in the meantime i made a small comp test to see if this thing actually works and i must say that i was a bit surprised how well it worked.

comped.jpg

thanks again for your comments guys :)

Hey guys

here is the .hip file for the ice shader, if you have anything to add or you can make it better than please do, any input will be greatly appreciated. :)

enjoy

28663[/snapback]

Here's a suggestion; build in Mario's subsurface scattering VOPs and make it capable of doing ice caves:

post-3-1150608621_thumb.jpg

post-3-1150608641_thumb.jpg

http://www.gdargaud.net/

edit: made the images local and added link to original source... Sorry J, had to be done :)

Edited by Marc