Read/Unread topics

Stremik

Ok. There are two things I find very frustrating.

First. When I just come to the Board Index and I see that there are new topics in some forum, it shows that little odF icon in blue. I then go in to that forum (for instance: Houdini>Character) and there I also see the little blue icon next to the new topic(or the topic that has new posts in it). I go ahead and read the topic and then, when I go back, one level up I see that the icon that used to be next to the topic is not there anymore. So far, so good! But then, when I go back to the Board Index the odF icon next to the forum that had an unread topic, is still blue! Despite the fact that there is no more unread topics in this forum. The only way to make that icon greyed out is to click on the Mark all topics in this forum as read while I'm still in Houdini>Character

I thought that it should be done automatically! Like this. If you read the topic, the icon on the Board Index should become greyed out.

Second. I've set this forum as my Homepage so every time I open the browser I'm being taken to here. Sometimes, I don't have time to read the posts right away. I just take a look at the board Index, I see that there are new posts and then I go somewhere else.

Later, I come back and I expect everything to be the same way. You know. Little blue odF icons next to the forums where there are new posts, like it was when I was here last time but didn't read any posts, but I find them all greyed out!!!???

What the heck!

What is going on?

Is it me, my browser or this forum?

The forum software used here as far as I can tell has never worked correctly. Every time I finish reading a forum, I always manually click on the "Mark this forum as read" link. The only way to solve as far as I can tell is to move to better forum software, perhaps like the one that is used on the sidefx website that doesn't seem to have these problems. However, not only is that probably time consuming but we might lose the accessibility of the old posts that contain helpful hints and help.

dante

Hi guys,

Wow, I had no idea that the forum software performed this way. I read the forum either in Opera on Linux or on Opera and IE for Windows. I've experienced very few of these issues myself. Marc and I will take a look at the software releases to see if there are any bug fixes for this software and we'll endeavour to set it right.

Sorry for the frustration.. this is the first we've heard of it.

Jason. (And Marc)

:unsure:

I've had a few of the problems...but now when I read the forum I go into 'od[force] mode' and read the forum the same way every time :)

and if I don't have time to read all the new posts I don't even login for fear of loosing the 'unread' icons...

I read the forum either in Opera on Linux or on Opera and IE for Windows.

I only browse this forum in IE for Windows.

The only way to solve as far as I can tell is to move to better forum software, perhaps like the one that is used on the sidefx website that doesn't seem to have these problems. However, not only is that probably time consuming but we might lose the accessibility of the old posts that contain helpful hints and help.

If so, I'd rather make some extra clicks than loose all the valuable information that has been posted here!

Evening all...

Well, I'm back. So things can start happening again :). No more 56k modem for me. yippee kay yay....

Anyway, to address your concerns.

Firstly, there is a new version of this forum software which I will attempt to get online as soon as possible. Remember that this is only version one, so there are bound to be some issues.

Also, the only forum that I've ever used without any major issues (or observable ones anyway) is vBulletin. Sadly though, it costs money.. so its not an option.

As for the SESI forum, well.... I personally don't like it very much. Also it took them ages to get out the current version of the software, while Ikonboard is moving along rapidly. So I think we'll stick with this for a while and see how it goes.

I do apologise for any issues though.

Cheers

Marc

P.S. one more thing I just remembered. When I install the new version of the software, I'm going to lose the skin (since they've changed the way they've done things) so it may have to wait a few weeks until I'm settled in my new job :D

Why the hell should we change? Invision is one of the best boards out there! I heard Invision even beats vBB with PHP support.

[EDIT]

Golden rule

Use Netscape 7.x, not 4.x. And if fonts turn out to be small in 7.x just crank them up manually, in the Display window menu. This might get fixed in any future updates. So far, I am quite glad with Netscape 7.x. (For it also supports Flash, Java etc.; and even though it crashes from time to time).

Also, you can't blame the fonts in Linux really. It are mostly the browsers that screw things up. They might be a little less easy and flexible than in Windoze, especially in terms of expanding your fonts.

[/EDIT]

That's exactly what I think is unnecessary!

Because I think the problem lies in the whole configuration of these forums. I'm sure it can be fixed. Also, only if it hasn't been done yet, someone should lookup any updates for this forum (which might fix a thing or two aswell).