Massive Forum At Od[force]?

Rudra

Hi Bern! Thanks! As I understand massrib is a tool which generates non-massive dependent rib. Is this rib fits only for air?

Hello,

I think it works for all Renderman-like renderers (PRMan, 3Delight, Air,..)

I want to know if there is another method to render out Massive scenes under Windows environment...

Why did they make a windows version of Massive if you can't render under Windows????

I'm a little confused. Maybe some 'Massive' guru's know the answer.?

thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they made a windows version of massive because (my guess here) they wanted people who are using windows for artists to be able to develop sims...

personally I'd NEVER try to render a massive sim (beyond just a few agents) in anything but linux...I spoken to a few people who have used massive for some features in the past few months and rendering sounds like hell...

I tell you the politics of such guys like massivesoftware, pixar and so on. Let's start from pixar:

2-4 years ago pixar renderman was unpopular between little studios and freelancers. But there was BMRT, the birth of mental, vray and so on. Pixar have done a good step. Renderman 12.5 was cracked! Was it a chance for young professionals and little studios to try to use prman? YES! Great deal. After 1.5 years after renderman 12.5 reached great studios it reached "small guys". Half year later renderman 13 released but doesn't cracked during 2 years. Hehe, Pixar is wise. Pro server 12.5-cracked was only for win32!!!! And no SDK!!! Understand? Advertising. Without such steps there would be no specialsts on post-ussr, china, indiya and so on countries. Pro server 14 will be released in half year, by the way.

Massive is unpopular right now here. Cracked version is exists. But! Cracked linux version is breaked and at win version it is impossible to render by popular, as for now, prman.

It's so easy.

I've worked at a software company before, and let me tell you that there is no way that they would use the idea of a cracked version as 'advertising'. Plus I seriously doubt that Pixar cares one whit about small studios around the world, Renderman isn't where they make their money anyway.

Secondly I gather from this thread that you are using a cracked version of Massive. Is that right? If this is the case then I'm afraid we can't help you with your problems, we really can't be in the habit of encouraging people to use cracked software.

If I'm mistaken then we'll be glad to help where we can, but please bear in mind that the best place for help is the official massive forum.

Cheers

Marc

I've worked at a software company before, and let me tell you that there is no way that they would use the idea of a cracked version as 'advertising'. Plus I seriously doubt that Pixar cares one whit about small studios around the world, Renderman isn't where they make their money anyway.

Secondly I gather from this thread that you are using a cracked version of Massive. Is that right? If this is the case then I'm afraid we can't help you with your problems, we really can't be in the habit of encouraging people to use cracked software.

If I'm mistaken then we'll be glad to help where we can, but please bear in mind that the best place for help is the official massive forum.

Cheers

Marc

Yes, Marc. I have no possibility to use license version. But I want to know how to work with it. :ph34r:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i don't wanna divert attention away from Houdini but thought this would be an ok place to ask...

I've been using Massive for over a year now and am debating whether to stay a generalist or to move more into the Crowd TD area.

Is there enough demand for a sole crowd td in London

Edited by chunkified

• 6 months later...
Hello,

How can you import a skeleton and motion in Massive?

Do you have to use special naming conventions for the bones, etc....

thanks,

bern

Massive uses, if memory serves, FBX, Acclaim skeletons and motion files, BVH motion files...

all of this is described in the documentation...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys! I've been reading some of your posts here. I'm a recent Massive user. We had the chance to work on a commercial which needed a couple of massive shots. At first it was quit difficult to understand how the software worked but after doing a lot of research I managed to get my Massive scenes rendered with Sytex AIR. Great render engine, very intuitive and a preview window which pops-up right away in massive when you hit the preview button.

All these with a Massive Prime license and a 4-node Air license on Windows XP 64. So dig into Massive and Air and you'll have great results! All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone, i'm currently finishing up my master's degree, and was lucky enough to "create" a massive class at my school by proposing the idea to my "renderman" teacher Paul Kanyuk from Pixar, who had showed a deep passion for crowds, to teach it to us (he did a bunch of crowd stuff with ratatouille and wall-e)... There was a "massive" talk at Siggraph 08, he gave a speech about "wall-e" and getting all the crowds in there to behave right. It was truly an honor to be an apprentice to Paul. My "knowledge" is limited due to lack of experience but i got the concepts down so i'd be willing to try and help sometimes, *like i said, i'm very limited though*... The tutorial videos on massive are excellent however, so i'd start there if you are truly trying to learn it. Once you get in there, it's not really that bad. it's fuzzy logic ;)

Cheers,

Jonathan

Edited by itriix

oh yeah, and forgot to ask my original question! has anyone experienced any issues going from massive to houdini? i am on complete hold right now due to my thesis but as soon as i finish i can't wait to start mixing the two.... I am foreseeing issues tho!

thanks,

Jonathan

*UPDATE*

found everything by just looking up : massive to houdini *duh* haha

Edited by itriix

oh yeah, and forgot to ask my original question! has anyone experienced any issues going from massive to houdini? i am on complete hold right now due to my thesis but as soon as i finish i can't wait to start mixing the two.... I am foreseeing issues tho!

thanks,

Jonathan

*UPDATE*

found everything by just looking up : massive to houdini *duh* haha

Hello,

Is it also possible to make hair and fur with Massive?

How can you render an ambient occlusion pass with Massive?

thanks,

bern