Rock Hard

Macha

• 2 weeks later...

Those rocks look very very nice. I'm about to venture into making detailed surface operators myself, but I've really just gotten started with H. Would you mind just briefly go through what path you chose? I was thinking vex, you seem to have a lot of copy sops there, which looks great.

• 1 month later...

wow, these rocks are awesome! i too would love to take a look at a couple hip files. Once I dissect your approach inside of Houdini, for modeling and shading/rendering, a LARGE amount of knowledge will be gained! :) These look fantastic. I really want to learn more! Thanks

Jonathan

• 4 months later...

An unlikely rock but stuff like this exists, famously on Hawaii.

It forms when liquid, frothy lava (like champagne) explodes into the air and freezes in the wind. Long glassy threads drift and fall on the earth, or wrap around telegraph poles and other structures.

I used a nifty little trick with the material. To make gently tapered threads, and to give the main glassy head somewhat of a frizz I perturbed velocity vectors along the edges of the threads and the normals of the body.

If it was to be animated I guess you would just have to add the calculated motion velocity to this.

post-4013-126680005157_thumb.jpg

post-4013-126680006773_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macha

Awesome! Are you a geologist/Petrologist? Or is it a hobby?

Nah, it's just an interest. I love mountain walking and I think there's few things as awesome as standing on the thin crust of a volcano, inhaling sulphur and scratching in the dust. I work as an artist and caught the rock-bug from another artist I worked with some years ago. Fossil hunting. :D

Edited by Macha

Is this fully procedural or are you sculpting/texturing parts?

The spec looks a little too heavy in some areas(the gritty parts), but that could just be a quality of the rock.

Pretty much fully procedural except for the initial shape and painting a very rough weight attribute for the dirt (but that could be done procedurally too, it's just easier this way)

I also think the spec is too high for this type of rock but I couldn't be bother rendering it again, it looked nice that way, and there's possibly a rock that looks like it. (As long as no petrologists sneek into this forum I'm save. ;) )

Very cool work, you really give attention to detail!

If you haven't already ( -and I haven't checked- ) you should send all of those together as a collection to sidefx. Perhaps they would even do a short cover story on it (if you would feel like that). I am sure many would find it interesting to read and it would give you a lot of exposure too!