Spiderman 3

I just came back from two SPI presentations (surf's up and spiderman3) at fmx (in Stuttgart, Germany), and have to say that first of all they seem like very cool guys, and the stuff they have done on these two shows really shines. Sandman is amazing, really. Would love to see more detail on that at some point (was the new fluid solver involved?)

Congratulations to those involved on an outstanding job, you made my time.

Someone here must know the schedule of those presentations... .one would think. However finding said person might be a bit of a thing. I'll mail around and see what I can find.

As for the sandman, I can probably answer questions after the film has been released.

But as for your question, no the houdini fluid solver wasn't used :)

Cheers

Marc

P.S. I can however confirm that we are indeed, a little jerkish at times.

Hey

So I know that a few people had some questions on how we did things on SP3. Feel free to ask them here and I'll try and answer as best I can without arousing the wrath of our marketing and legal departments :).

Between Steven and myself we should be able to answer or find the person who can answer almost any questions you have.

Cheers

Marc

at fmx they said that the goo was done in maya, and it seemed to be real hard work by a lot of talented technical animators

along with sandman :thumbsup:, i also felt that venom was pretty cool,

it looks really complex, was houdini used in the animation of the close ups of the venom goo moving around ?

how much re-use was there from the previous films (models, tools etc) or was it just a complete do-over?

As far as the lighting rigs and IBR stuff went, it was built on the technology from the last films. They carry it over from film to film but basically improve on the same principle. It was used on Superman too. FX tools were mostly new, some (like the sand) were based on similar tech as other films in the studio, but rebuilt from the ground up to be more powerful and configurable. The little bit of fire we had (flaming vomit, fire from the glider) was done with the Ghost Rider fire pipeline.

I believe the models were all new, however the modelers may have grabbed the old spidey models and reused parts.. who knows really :).

question:

how big was FX -team (for example on sandMan),

and how long was post -production work (FX) ?

:)

thank you Marc

I'm not sure exactly how big the teams were and they've taken the contact lists offline, so I can't count :). But the sand team was probably around 20 people at it's largest... not counting the programmers we had supporting us. The venom and destruction teams were completely seperate from us, but we were the biggest fx team.

The length of time is a bit hard to nail down too. R&D started in mid 2005 for the fx pipeline and people started doing tests on shots near the end of 05 (I think), so it's hard to say when exactly R&D finished and the real work began. But probably around 14-15months? Take that with a grain of salt though :). I was personally on the show from May last year to April this year.

I'll find out more details of the venom pipeline and get back to you guys :).

Cheers

Marc

at fmx they said that the goo was done in maya, and it seemed to be real hard work by a lot of talented technical animators

Actually the goo was done with both houdini and maya. I helped a little with the

pipeline, mostly mel and python scripting, lots of fun.

L

Yeah, all animation is done in maya and then exported to a custom format which we then bring into houdini as animated geometry. Same goes for cameras, lighting is done in our lighting package so we don't really worry about those :).

Yeah, all animation is done in maya and then exported to a custom format which we then bring into houdini as animated geometry. Same goes for cameras, lighting is done in our lighting package so we don't really worry about those :).

Just curious...why is the animation done in Maya? Is Houdini not good enough to do animation or is there another reason ?

many thanks and greetings,

bern