Spiderman 3

Just curious...why is the animation done in Maya? Is Houdini not good enough to do animation or is there another reason ?

many thanks and greetings,

bern

The modeling and rigging is done in Maya, so it makes sense that the animation is also done in Maya. It has to do with the pipeline, which it has been there from long time ago. There are many tools written in Maya and other applications that wrap around it. Houdini is actually much more "disconnected" from the actual pipeline and I doubt they would use it for animation even if they will renovate the pipeline from scratch, for some reasons.

Yeah when you have at least 3 major productions going on here at any given time it kinda makes sense to stay with what you know. They've spent years refining the character/animation pipeline, so they ain't gonna change it now, no matter how good Houdini is :).

Unless something drastic happens that forces the issue anyway.

Myself I was quite shocked by the first sandman shot where we can see a rock which at the end happens to be a little tiny grain of sand :blink: Could we get a bit of inside info on how the hell you manage to achieve that shot? Micropoly displacement, dynamics...tell us, tell us :ph34r:

Sorry for the delay, but I have something better than a short answer to your question. Apparently we have a bit of a making of video here :

http://www.imageworks.com/films/spiderman3/index.html

Take a look at the birth of sandman video.

Cheers

Marc

hey SPI guys

in the clip, there are larger balls in the sand,

post-585-1179600837_thumb.jpg

do those larger balls (proxy) drive the velocity of the finner sand (ie attrib transfer)

or was that just for rough timing tests and run finer solutions for final renders?

I know that when u render, u have a renderman dso instance a bunch of points around each base point, but how fine is the sand in the simulation before it is multiplied in the render?

post-585-1179600856_thumb.jpg

thanks in advance

brian

Brian: Generally speaking the large sand was for rough timing tests and then finer sims for the final render (with the instancer filling the gaps)

Rafal: We pretty much use prman exclusively. Except for Monster House which used Arnold.

Cheers

Marc :)

hey SPI guys

in the clip, there are larger balls in the sand,

post-585-1179600837_thumb.jpg

do those larger balls (proxy) drive the velocity of the finner sand (ie attrib transfer)

or was that just for rough timing tests and run finer solutions for final renders?

I know that when u render, u have a renderman dso instance a bunch of points around each base point, but how fine is the sand in the simulation before it is multiplied in the render?

post-585-1179600856_thumb.jpg

thanks in advance

brian

The large balls are a rigid body sim using spheresim, which is a propietary RBD system that works just with points with radius (spheres). It's really fast, but not enough to simulate tens or hundreds of millons of sand grains, so the velocity vectors are passed (in a smart way) to the particle simulations that are instanced in rendertime, like Mark said. The sand pre-instancing can be pretty heavy. I remember I got close to 50 million raw particles in some shots.

awesome effects,awful movie. such movies will make audience keep away from effects movies other than few who are already in the core of it. so don't suprise if the demand crashdown someday.

let alone the effects a side,how many of you were realy happy after you step out the theatre.(i suspect even the effects not enough to save the show.)

so a little bit clevernes and talent mr,miss,mrs scripters.

I didn't mind it... it had flaws, which it certainly shouldn't have from the amount of money it cost. But from what I hear Venom wasn't going to be in the movie, he was forced in by Avi and the Marvel guys because the 'fans' demanded it. So hey, when suits get involved then it messes things up a little.

eh well.

Guest xionmark
Marc, you forgot sho, danielpferreira & lucio worked on the show too.

Cheers!

steven

I was on the goo team (venom) for the last 8 weeks of the show.

It was a lot of fun and Ryan Laney was an amazing sup for the goo team! True grace under fire.

--Mark

• 1 month later...