Shading Documentation

LaidlawFX

Ok here is some shading documentation I've been working on, on my own time. I'm attempting to doc as much as I can about shading in Houdini as possible. I learn a lot from odforce so I'm giving it back to the community for free. Hopefully I can fix up the sister lighting and rendering document to this soon for those that are wondering.

This document is about Hacking the mantra surface shader to learn how your tool works, to better use it. It is what I've been doing to create my UberShader to better understand vops. In essence it's a recompilation of the sesi doc with a lot of odforce wisdom. It will always be a work in progress so keep that in mind.

This current version has how the render engine interprets the shader and all the options on the mantra surface shader. I'm trying to add useful images, too...

crit most welcome

Shading_v003.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

thank you for this great work ! I will print this !

I hope you will find the time to finish the final chapters.

papi,

me to... apparently there is a lot more for me to learn in this area than there was in lighting and rendering, and a lot less sesi stuff to borrow from.

This current version has how the render engine interprets the shader and all the options on the mantra surface shader. I'm trying to add useful images, too...

crit most welcome

More precise labeling of the images would be nice, EG: parameter_name = parameter_value.

It would be great if OGL section could explain exactly how to enable these parameters.

HI,

Thanks for the great doc,would be great if you put it down to somewhere central like google docs and put some of your info on the front page such as email address and web url so that the next time a new version can be check periodically over your website or in the google docs. As atleat I will be looking forward to the next version of this and finding it in the forum would be a bit hard to combine all the bits and pieces. Thanksalot for this.

Ok here is some shading documentation I've been working on, on my own time. I'm attempting to doc as much as I can about shading in Houdini as possible. I learn a lot from odforce so I'm giving it back to the community for free. Hopefully I can fix up the sister lighting and rendering document to this soon for those that are wondering.

This document is about Hacking the mantra surface shader to learn how your tool works, to better use it. It is what I've been doing to create my UberShader to better understand vops. In essence it's a recompilation of the sesi doc with a lot of odforce wisdom. It will always be a work in progress so keep that in mind.

crit most welcome

Shading_v003.pdf

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for the docs. I'm a noobs in houdini so it helps me a lot about intro in shading. Great work. Hope you can finish it.

Cheers..

cpb - Yeah will do, I spent some time playing with the openGL to get more out of it. I'll explain that more. I hope for the future, they make the openGL nodal like the rest of the parameters can be, then it would be a lot better.

zasid - I'll spend some more time thinking about how to do update post to this, for that concept. It's all done in indesign for max future potential and easiest workflow so I don't know how I could tailor that with google docs at the momment. It may be best to update my website with new code other than flash to handle something like that better. It might be best for me to make sure I do one or two more updates some more before I try that, lol, that way I can fade away a little better when I face plant.

CeeGee, roughsporty, neonbulbs80 - me too...

• 4 weeks later...

So I started updating the OpenGL section of this documentation, and decided to spurn off a new document. Of course it's still needs work, but it encompass all the areas that effect your OpenGL viewport, from shaders, to sops, to your display options. Display options is an area I need to chew through in more depth.

OGL_v001.pdf

Of the biggest dumb little thing I notices is under the display options, optimization/culling, you can change the clipping planes and set them. Something completely dumb, but it is awesome.

Edited by LaidlawFX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks a ton for this!

I'm just doing a research for my MA about shaders and VOP's and this will surely be helping me... and will be rightfully credited!

Thanks again!!!

(now I only need to get paper for the damned printer...)

Thanks a ton for this!

I'm just doing a research for my MA about shaders and VOP's and this will surely be helping me... and will be rightfully credited!

Thanks again!!!

(now I only need to get paper for the damned printer...)

Glad to hear it is helpful, I'd be interested in seeing your research paper/thesis. I've been poking my head elsewhere in Houdini lately so I haven't gotten a chance to get back to this stuff, but I'm still real interested in any extra info.

bytw, Good luck man on your ma, my mfa thesis ended in occlusion, I hope yours gets much farther, lol.