Nice wax melting close ups

Hazoc

http://www.realflow.com/rf_casestudies.php?cs=casestudies/cs_36deathpenalty.php

Should be doable in Houdini. If someone has a neat little hip where particle fluid attributes like viscosity, drag etc. are varied on a particle basis in a sop solver, please feel free and welcome to post it here:)

Edit: Nice file from Bunker may give direction.

Edited by Hazoc

They might have done work on the solver in house, or the might have used this (or both).

http://resources.realflow.com/news_scripts.php?t=2#page=1&mode=0&id=145

The plug-in allows for temperature dependent behaviour in fluids. It applies a non-newtonian approach to a custom viscosity that can co-exist or replace the native viscosity of the fluid. When temperatures are above the boiling temperature, then fluid will be force upwards and then it will cool down again. The temperature of the fluid is influenced by the temperature of objects and an ambient temperature defined in the parameters of the plug-in.

Is it doable in Houdini? Probably, though I'd imagine it to be pretty difficult. As far as I know the fluid solvers in Houdini don't handle non-Newtonian fluids out of the box. Either way I'd love to know how too! :ph34r:

Edited by lukeiamyourfather

Is it doable in Houdini? Probably, though I'd imagine it to be pretty difficult. As far as I know the fluid solvers in Houdini don't handle non-Newtonian fluids out of the box. Either way I'd love to know how too! :ph34r:

Not "out of the box", but if you can modify particle fluid simulation to change it's properties localy like starting from rigid, cold form and then becoming soft and finally dripping, similar melting effects could be created I think. The fluid already has these attributes. They just need to be controlled right.

Edited by Hazoc

Astonishing!

I'm not saying I solved the problem, but I prototyped something along those lines here:

I think a cleverer man or woman than me could do something like that and use it as a particle system for a flipsolver.

If anyone could do wax melting. You can macha ;)

Oh I wish. I make a lot of noise but watch out for the quiet ones. Anybody who's been on this board continuously for more than 4 years and has less than 10 posts is likely to be a super-H-master doing melting solvers before breakfast.

Edited by Macha
  • Like 1

would like to see some breakdowns

Here's a prototype of the wax. Doesn't seem to be be anything beyond Houdini's abilities or is it just me ?

Maybe its using some Heat per area -method to determine how much liquid wax particles has to be emited. Those particles slide down iso surface of the main wax volume that is getting softened and shrinked.

Here's a quick test to use SDF and some arbitrary heat field to point out areas with high melting potential of the legendary stanford buddha:

buddafield01.jpg

And I haven't had my breakfast yet.

Edited by Hazoc

Anybody who's been on this board continuously for more than 4 years and has less than 10 posts is likely to be a super-H-master doing melting solvers before breakfast.

Looks like Hazoc just outed him/herself as one of those low-key super-H-masters! B)

Most Excellent!

Edited by Macha

Hey Hazoc

I just tried a quick hack : updating the velocity before the gas_integrator stage.

there is a switch with 2 different melting options in the file

melt_01.hip

have fun melting stuff :)

Should be doable in Houdini. If someone has a neat little hip where particle fluid attributes like viscosity, drag etc. are varied on a particle basis in a sop solver, please feel free and welcome to post it here:)

Hey Hazoc

I had a quick 10 mins go at it : I simply update the velocity before the gas_integrator stage...

melt_01.hip

Hey Hazoc

I had a quick 10 mins go at it : I simply update the velocity before the gas_integrator stage...

melt_01.hip

Well there we go! I'll try to integrate my dynamic Thickness to heat exposure -tracking system extravaganza to this soon.

nice modification Julien! If you want viscosity too it is just a blur of the velocity (just pcfilter -- or attribtransfer, haven't tested the attribtransfer in 11, it's supposed to be lots faster)... and link the viscosity (blur) to the heat. It's cold -> high viscosity, it's hot low viscosity. That way you can have wax that heats up and cools down and solidifies again :). See if you can droop some wax on top of each other. It's that cool effect where by one more liquid hotter or lighter fluid overtakes another.

Kinda like that extra droopy detail you saw in that realflow ice cube. I wanna give it a go too, this is fun :).

Hi guys,

I've been playing with bunker's file. I'm trying to advect the teapot geometry (converted to polys) using the advect pop. When I try this, the teapot sop geometry seems to move much faster than the flip sim from dops. And the entire geometry gets advected instead of just the white areas. What I'm expecting to happen, is to have just the points (on the sops geometry) that are close to the "intitial melt points" (white areas of sim) get advected. Instead, all the points of the sops geometry are getting advected straight from the beginning. Is there something I'm missing when I try to advect the sops geo to get this delayed melting effect? It seems (to me) that some of the particles (from the advect pop) should not start moving until a few frames in since the velocity is 0 until they turn white in the sop solver. I thought maybe the velocity field being called into the advect pop is one that is before the sop solver affects it, but not really sure. Any ideas on how to advect just parts of the geometry as in the sop solver sim? Thanks