Layout: Horizontal? Vertical?

Jason

23 members have voted

1. 1. Layout: Horizontal? Vertical?

• Horizontal layout
    • Vertical layout

I would like actually a toggle, so you can choose which way you like (Digital Fusion does this, if I remember correctly). And I'd love to have this available throughout Houdini, not only Halo. There are many instances when you could lay down your modelling steps horizontally, and have a larger viewport on top, for example.

Dragos

It's strange, I can see that the wider aspect of images make it seem more logical to have a wide network underneath your image (rather than the relative arbitrary size of a 3d viewport) and therefore make the most of your screen space, but for some reason a vertical layout is intuitive and seems to suit better a visual representation of layering images atop each other. I think ultimately a narrow & tall layout on one side of your image works best for me (speaking from a Nuke background).

• 11 months later...
Yeah, I'm used to this kind of thing:

(Image shrunk to protect the innocent)

I want to see if the Halo horizontal layout works with me.

9024[/snapback]

Hey Jason

Funny thing this

I work alot in Shake and tend to layout in a diag fasion.

Hows that for the vertical vs. horizontal poll ... sorry

Anyway I was looking at the nuke layout and we just had a demo

of Nuke in house and I found that I liked to stack each input image and operators vertically then pass these horizontally from one to another.

sooooo... something like

image image2 image3

premulti premulti blur

roto blur saturation

merge---->merge------>merge---------->image write

Tada.

Its possible that I am very sick in the head.

• 2 weeks later...

What is interesting is that Nuke doesn't dictate a direction - the wires are labelled and can enter the node from any angle. The unconnected inputs kinda hang out the side of the node (very small). Of course this makes it possible only to wire from the input's side and not start the wire from a nodes output, but the free-form nature is really quite nice. Actually I (among others) think that the Houdini network pane could very easily be improved with pretty small changes, both the rendering of it and its capabilties.

BTW, I just wrote a quick script that bubbles nodes up a tree. Now we need one to swap any two nodes nodes if they are selected - the current one with the non-current+selected one. I think that all these kinda of things could be integrated into the node editor by SESI since I'm going to run out of f-keys so hotkey-binding purposes. (I wish we could bind scripts to other keys...)

Look at the Houdini Exchange http://www.sidefx.com/exchange for a script called Bubble Up This Node.

Cheers!

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, I just wrote a quick script that bubbles nodes up a tree. Now we need one to swap any two nodes nodes if they are selected - the current one with the non-current+selected one. I think that all these kinda of things could be integrated into the node editor by SESI since I'm going to run out of f-keys so hotkey-binding purposes. (I wish we could bind scripts to other keys...)

Look at the Houdini Exchange http://www.sidefx.com/exchange for a script called Bubble Up This Node.

Cheers!

Jason

14293[/snapback]

Hi Jason You are correct sir. Nukes freeform layout is the best way to go..

I'll have no truck with layers like some other apps. Just doesnt do it for me.

I just found myself stacking nodes together with the incoming nodes, thinking if someone else had to work on this comp how easy would it be

to get around?

I know I've opened many a comp started by someone else and say gee look at all the nodes named untitled...untitled...untitled...untitled...and

so on.

BTW Jason the Bubble up this node is cool :D

very useful.