Lamp Shade Shading

I am mucking around with a small scene at home and having some trouble with getting the lighting right.

If you see the picture I wan't to lit the scene with the lamp but it feels like the lamp shade "eats" too much light.

I wonder if there is a way to specify how much light that should be let through when using subsurface scattering without the lampshade lighting up too bright. Been tweaking parameters all evening but can't seem to find the right one.

Suggestions for parameters (mantra surface material), shader modifications that can be made or easy ways of cheating it are very welcome.

post-5363-133159554509_thumb.jpeg

I am mucking around with a small scene at home and having some trouble with getting the lighting right.

If you see the picture I wan't to lit the scene with the lamp but it feels like the lamp shade "eats" too much light.

I wonder if there is a way to specify how much light that should be let through when using subsurface scattering without the lampshade lighting up too bright. Been tweaking parameters all evening but can't seem to find the right one.

Suggestions for parameters (mantra surface material), shader modifications that can be made or easy ways of cheating it are very welcome.

Hi.

IMO, the picture looks too dark. Are you using gamma correction for rendered image (something like "2.2")?

Hi.

IMO, the picture looks too dark. Are you using gamma correction for rendered image (something like "2.2")?

Embarrassingly i had forgot to gamma correct. It made it a lot better. Next problem is to not get the whole shade to light up so much.

post-5363-133167142554_thumb.jpeg

post-5363-13316777221_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Erik_JE

IMHO ,

the flatness and the ' absolutely-white ' lamp needs a bit of tweaking .

it is not a source of light in itself so 'i cannot accept' ( so to speak =} ) .. its uniformity and intensity .

maybe you can add a pale layer of diffusion on top of it ..

also / maybe add some small details ( canvas texture , and some nonuniform-gradient thickness there .. 'where fabric meets the wire' )

p.s.: i have seen the tuto which J.Santos mentioned , and afair , there was a trick used to spare the sss-taxes ..

.. flipped / reversed normals , i recall .

Hi Erik!

Disregard my post if it doesn-t have anything to do but CmiVfx have a lesson that might be worth checking because of the similarity of scenes, approach to shader/render and faking/solving the question of the lamp shade!

Good luck!

I can't get the method for faking translucency by negating the normal to work in H11 for some reason. Otherwise thats a good method.

EDIT: I can't get it to work with PBR to be more precise.

Edited by Erik_JE

IMHO ,

the flatness and the ' absolutely-white ' lamp needs a bit of tweaking .

it is not a source of light in itself so 'i cannot accept' ( so to speak =} ) .. its uniformity and intensity .

maybe you can add a pale layer of diffusion on top of it ..

also / maybe add some small details ( canvas texture , and some nonuniform-gradient thickness there .. 'where fabric meets the wire' )

p.s.: i have seen the tuto which J.Santos mentioned , and afair , there was a trick used to spare the sss-taxes ..

.. flipped / reversed normals , i recall .

The shade actually got some nice texture just that it can't be seen because it gets soo damn bright :) But yes indeed it needs to not shine as the sun. Just need to figure out how to do that.

Flipped normal no-go with PBR even if casting color to BSDF.

Thanks. Gonna be some action going on with the pens later is the thought so they need to be lit up a little bit more.

im having this same issue, seems like PBR is not working with the lighting model and the negate normals trick for translucency in H12... :unsure::unsure:

btw...

are you using the translucency in the mantra surface? there was a little trick where you can add a color ramp, and fake a nice decay in the translucency... ill see if can find it.

you can test the translucency with atenuation option in the mantra material anyway.

Edited by dyei nightmare
  • Downvote 1

im having this same issue, seems like PBR is not working with the lighting model and the negate normals trick for translucency in H12... :unsure::unsure:

btw...

are you using the translucency in the mantra surface? there was a little trick where you can add a color ramp, and fake a nice decay in the translucency... ill see if can find it.

you can test the translucency with atenuation option in the mantra material anyway.

I haven't found any translucency in the mantra surface so I am just using subsurface scattering atm. Think I am gonna render the lamp shade with MP and just comp it together if I don't find a solution soon.

I haven't found any translucency in the mantra surface so I am just using subsurface scattering atm. Think I am gonna render the lamp shade with MP and just comp it together if I don't find a solution soon.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/gallery/shop/vopmaterial/mantrasurface

refract tab> Refraction Model > translucency

im gonna build a shader :unsure:

Edited by dyei nightmare
  • Downvote 1

total cheat but would light linking work? One for casting on the shade and another for everything else? Or using a really low active radius? Sorry, haven't done much pbr, so excuse my naive response :rolleyes:

I have thought in those ways as well. I'll see if i try it later but I am starting to get decently happy with the lamp shade now. It's brighter in the center and some texture can be seen. Added a fill light without shadows to brighten everything up a little.

Maybe I should get this thread moved to WIP or something.

post-5363-133219735629_thumb.jpeg

I have thought in those ways as well. I'll see if i try it later but I am starting to get decently happy with the lamp shade now. It's brighter in the center and some texture can be seen. Added a fill light without shadows to brighten everything up a little.

Maybe I should get this thread moved to WIP or something.

just 3 quick questions, is your lamp light using physical attenuation? if yes, are them giving the soft fallof over the wall or is because any shadow shader?, which are your values in translucency/trans. attenuation?

Edited by dyei nightmare
  • Downvote 1

just 3 quick questions, is your lamp light using physical attenuation? if yes, are them giving the soft fallof over the wall or is because any shadow shader?, which are your values in translucency/trans. attenuation?

I attached a hipnc with my current settings. It uses physical attenuation through subsurface scattering and refractions. Actually got the best results with cone refractions instead of translucency. No shadow shader involved.

lampshade.hipnc