Fracture and structure

Dani F

Hi all,

I'm setting up fractures with the voronoifractureconfigureobject which works quite well, but the problem I have is all fragments look pretty much like stone chunks, too "Voronoi-ish".

I want to give the fracture a wood structure, much more like thin long splinters reflecting the internal fiber structure. Voronoi fracture objects doesn't seem to have much options about that except the cluster grouping on XYZ, but I'd need a huge amount of fragments to build splinters out of that.

Is there a way to pass structure "hints" to the voronoi fracture object?. In fact just stretching the distribution along Y axis would work quite well, but I can't find how.

My other option would be to pre-model everything and assemble a RBD, but I was wondering of somebody have had to fight with the same problem before...

Thanks a lot,

D.

What he said.

Here's a test for a job I just did, with some splintery feel, done just that same way.

splinter1.png

looks very good, could you please share some insight about your work? how did you change the shape?

looks very good, could you please share some insight about your work? how did you change the shape?

So it's what I was thinking. We can't play with structure on the fly, it needs to be pre-modelled.

Thanks guys... I'll go that way.

D.

Yep, it was just a 10 * scale on the Y axis before voronoifracture SOP, and a 1/10 * Y scale after it.

I don't see how to get it to work like that with the dynamic fracture feature.

Maybe some clever modification to the tool can achieve that - there are a lot of smart guys around ;)

i am trying to something like eetu did.. but after I created the wood feeling i need to get a clear impact point... so what I wanted to do was to create a for each loop and simply break each peace again from the same point to get the impact point that i need with out changing the peaces around the impact....

But strangely enough the for each brings in the whole geo and not each peace....

any idea what I am doing wrong or if its just the fracturing tools how to delete each peace out so that I would have like 8000 different peaces in sops and then run the for each over them....

cheers

and here is the file... Dani i think that should give u an idea on how to create something like that...

and to the other what i am actually trying to do;P

tableFracturing_002.hipnc