Dreamworks releases OpenVDB

michael

Dreamworks just released OpenVDB:

OpenVDB is an open source C++ library comprising a novel hierarchical data structure and a suite of tools for the efficient storage and manipulation of sparse volumetric data discretized on three-dimensional grids. It is developed and maintained by DreamWorks Animation for use in volumetric applications typically encountered in feature film production.
OpenVDB will be fully integrated into the next major release of Houdini, the high-end 3D animation package from Side Effects Software. This release will include a suite of nodes for sparse volume processing.

OpenVDB site

note, this is not the SESI news that will be announced on Tuesday Aug 7th at SIGGRAPH :)

Has anyone been able to compile the openVDB library for Ubuntu 12.04 yet? I'm stuck at this error:

libopenvdb.so.0.90.1: undefined reference to `clock_gettime'

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2418157/ubuntu-linux-c-error-undefined-reference-to-clock-gettime-and-clock-settim

Probably this is the problem as Ubuntu 12.04 is on gcc 4.6.

Edited by Erik_JE

I too get the same error..

did you mail them about it?

they've mentioned that the support for other platform will be coming soon.

edit: will give that a try and check if it works. has anyone else successfully compiled this on Ubuntu 12.04? (gcc 4.6)

Edited by bhaveshpandey

Thanks, I got it to work when I realized I needed to change my Houdini path, thanks to this thread:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=26528

The clock_gettime() error can be fixed by adding "-lrt" to the rules for linking the executables. I don't think this is a problem if you're justing trying to compile the HDK stuff.