Houdini games pipeline Siggraph talk

freaq

The following talk was presented by me at Siggraph 2012 on behalf of SideFX software.

The talk is about Procedural content generation for games, mainly focussed at controllable city generation.

None of the content you see was sped up in any way, this tool is realtime and can be demonstrated live.

the connection with Unity is done via custom ROP driver scripts and a custom instantiation script in unity.

these were created by by supervisor John Courte.

The system instantiates the meshes in engine greatly improving rendertimes over normal .obj exporting,

and allowing artists to create content much faster then via traditional methods without compromising control.

for a demo on procedural terrain generation in Houdini for the UDK see this video:

if you have any questions or want to see more of my work visit my blog @ www.freekhoekstra.com

Thanks for watching!

Freek Hoekstra

blog: www.freekhoekstra.com

portfolio: www.Freek3D.com

email: info@freek3D.com

phone: 424 213 3048

Edited by freaq
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was awesome! Bet the city tools took a while to do and design :)

I just wanted to let everybody kow that the city tools were made in around 2,5-3 months time total development,

that is including all the window shooter and window designer tools as well (as well as several other tools not shown today)

and that the main citygeneration system was up and running in no more then 2 weeks, exporting instances into Unity within 3-4 weeks.

the rest of the time was spent making it faster, more stable, better looking and making sure the system scaled well with bigger datasets.

it was a exploratory process trying to get isntances out into the world efficiently and that was where most the time was spent.

Best regards,

Freek Hoektra

Edited by freaq

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...