Partitioning a drive for linux

Marc

Hey,

Lets assume that I don't have partition magic for a moment (I don't ;)). So what would be the best method of re-partitioning a windows XP disk so that I can have a dual boot with linux?

Any fancy free/cheap software out there that will do it? And fdisk doesn't count... :P

Thanks

Marc

Hi!

Some Linux installers have the ability to resize ntfs-partitions without data-loss. So you won't need any partition magic or something similar. I think you will have to defragment your partitions before resizing. (Never did this myself)

Note: I heard that Mandrake 9.1 doesn't warn you if the partitions can't be resized without data loss.

For an overview, which distribution can resize ntfs and which not, take a look at http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsre...ze2.html#distro If your distribution isn't listed, this site also mentions a "hard" way to resize the partition using the ntfsresize program you can download.

Cheers

Frank

There are several tools for linux for the drive partitioning. It's a fdisk, DiskDruid for RedHat, DiskDrake for Mandrake and other. All is usefull. But I don't recommend to use DiskDrake from MDK 10 because you have a big chance to loose your data. I'm not sure what tool can resize NTFS partitions but you can test it :) And don't forget to backup your data!

It depends, even if you have PartitionMagic, resizing NTFS paritions is very risky.

FAT32 is no problem at all, there are a few freeware tools (even included with some Linux distributions) available.