Alt key for viewing in Houdini

We have just released a new Production Build Houdini 12.5.469. Normally I wouldn't announce this outside our forums this but this version has an important new feature.

The Alt key can now used to invoke View tools. Now there will be no more muscle memory issues for Maya artists learning Houdini. The spacebar can also be used so Houdini artists don't have to change existing habits.

The new keystroke is on by default but there is a preference for turning this off altogether if you don't want it.

Houdini 12.5.469 is available for download - http://www.sidefx.com/download or http://www.sidefx.com/apprentice

The Alt-view perference is now the default, but this pref has been around for a few dozen builds now and it defaulted to off. So it's likely that it has been saved to $HOME/houdini12.5 as 'off'. This is why you have to explicitly turn it on if you've had a previous 12.5 version installed (unless you wipe out your prefs by deleting $HOME/houdini12.5, which isn't recommended).

• Like 1

For me it works as before if i turn it off (as it should), but when turning it on and holding ALT and pressing: LMB is rotating, MMB is panning, Scrolling its zooming but RMB it is changing "Screen Window Size" (not FOV like i wrote before) like when it is turned off, not zooming in/out like when holding space.

I guess correct behavior should be exactly the same as space :) Is it only me that gets this result?

tested on win8 64bit Build 469

Edited by Magnus Pettersson

true - it does change the fov instead of dollies

It actually looks like it changes the Screen size window parameter which is like zooming into the camera view as if it was a flat 2D image. None of the camera's 3D parameters or focal length are changed.

Both should Dolly. Thanks for pointing this out. It will be looked at right away.

• 4 weeks later...