Houdini Raytracer in VOPS

tmdag

wonderful...... thankyou for this tutorial

there was also matt ebb who have done something simlar:

https://vimeo.com/21436831

Oh cool! Didn't know that, thanks for sharing!. Too bad that those hip files are offline.

I will cover that in next parts of tutorial :)

And thanks everyone!

Cheers!

Edited by tmdag

hi Albert ,

i absolutely agree with what everyone said above and extremely appreciate your efforts and time to put some fundamental knowledge into your blog .

.. max( respect ) for sharing it for free and here , above all .

--

;) @ SESI : HOU is a perfect tool to illustrate Maths&Co at schools . build a special edition for that purpo$e .

!cheers

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm on the 3rd article of this series and there's the part about adding a fraction of the normal to get rid of noise on the shadow rays. It reads:

Our first ray hit position is placed exactly on our geometry, when we are looking for intersection towards the light, shadow ray is hitting surface at its origin. To fix this issue, we need to add small offset to the ray origin. But which direction we should offset it? In case of ground plane, offsetting ray upwards would help but it would create problems with other objects like sphere. Fortunately, we can use scene geometry normals.

I'm a bit confused of what it means exactly. Does it mean that the shadow ray is being occluded by the point on the surface where it hits (originates from)? Can you elaborate a bit more on this?

Thanks again for the great material!

Cheers

Edited by rafaelfs