Silly Challenge

David Gary

Thanks everybody !

Lukich, Jason, Moose, LEO-oo- : Thank U very much !

Meshsmooth: :) I will let my webpage as it is. It sounds more "exotic"

DaJuice: Sorry, i tried to reduce the resolution of the video but the result wasn't good.

Marc :

how you can easily get very complex results without highly complex systems being built (and no code too ).

I don't mind coding, but i like to push the procedural paradigm to its limit !

TO EVERYBODY:

It's christmas time!! Yi-hee! : HERE COMES A NEW TUTORIAL. Totally free!

It's a bit more sophisticated, there's little little code, maybe the ideas will look less natural ( not if you've watched the previous tut). I hope it's well explained and understandable.

It demonstrates how to create a fluid flow through a l-system.

( You can try it first as a challenge, and watch the solution after)

I'm in a sharing mood !

Click here and enjoy

or Here, it's the second tut

TO EVERYBODY:

It's christmas time!! Yi-hee! : HERE COMES A NEW TUTORIAL. Totally free!

It's a bit more sophisticated, there's little little code, maybe the ideas will look less natural ( not if you've watched the previous tut). I hope it's well explained and understandable.

Well done! A very nicely commented tut - pedagogically very clear, because it never loses sight of the goal(s). A welcome change from the "I'm gonna go ahead and press this button, and then that one..." style which is unfortunately all too common!

Looking forward to the third "peeling" chapter!

Best regards,

Roy Stelzer

Stelzer Productions

Switzerland

P.S. Vous n'avez vraiment pas

Thanks!

Yashibazook: you're right. The secret of pedagogy is to always show the goal before reaching it.

The "peeling" chapter will be very easy compared to the two previous tut: the idea is to copy the carve operation ( carveSOP) to create stripes on a revolved nurbs object. I don't know if it really deserves a tut.

Content de voir des francophones sur odforce

Et de savoir qu'on utilise Houdini en Suisse ( parce qu'en France, presque personne ne connait)

Watching these kinda reminded me of how much more Houdini there is to learn.

oh yes! endless learning!

• 3 months later...

hey FrenchOP

thanks for the videos, they great,

cant believe i only saw them recently.

please post more :-)

anyways, the one of the lsystems sound was a bit soft, and just to add comic relief, i almost blew my ear phones with going from watchin ur lsys clip with winamp on full sound with all the equaliser settings on full and that little booster thing on the left, and then played some chevelle without changing the settings. allmost blew my head off :blink:

half my department burst out laughing.

all the best

aracid :blink:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

frenchOp... i'm wordless... (sorry for my english as well, i'm italian :).

btw.. i'm really stoned by your video tutorials and I wish you did more, or even some serious training DVD. I was a Softimage/Ligthscape Teacher and I can really say yours teaching skills are pretty rare, clear talking, target always focused without getting confused... what else... GREAT JOB.

I'm a noob on houdini, trying to get really into the philosophy of the software and making it my next job position, Houdini TD. Your videos were so well done that I noticed it makes so easy to archieve a pretty advanced effect by showing the REAL workflow of this Software, the procedural way.

Those videos has been unvaluable precious material for me. THANKS.

Looking forward to see many more of yours tutorials. Go Ahead! :D

cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

( happy to see my workflow re-used in a demo reel :) )

I noticed that, with the new DOP system, the workflow for the fluid flow through l-system is much (much) easier. ( i keep the tut on my page anyway).

just for fun... can you see how to do it very quickly and easily?

( and for the breaking objects tut, just turn the fractured object into a Fractured RBD DOP, add some glue and play with it, it's very very easy - thanx DOP again).

Anyway, i love the new DOP system, not just because i've got at last dynamic simulation within Houdini but because, it's perfectly integrated with the rest of the software, and you can do totally incredible procedural things with it.

• 4 months later...
( and for the breaking objects tut, just turn the fractured object into a Fractured RBD DOP, add some glue and play with it, it's very very easy - thanx DOP again).

21903[/snapback]

Hey FrenchOP,

I think your cracker tutorial was great! Thanks! I am now trying to bring in my cracked object into DOPs using an RBD Fractured OBJ. I must be missing something essential, but when I bring in the cracked geometry it comes in as a flat plane and there is no thickness to it even though there is on the SOP level using a PolyExtrude SOP. Did you have any problem like this?

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi FrenchOP

The "peeling" chapter will be very easy compared to the two previous tut: the idea is to copy the carve operation ( carveSOP) to create stripes on a revolved nurbs object. I don't know if it really deserves a tut.

this sounds very interesting as I try to do something similar right now... can u give me some more hints on how to do what u wanted to turn into a tutorial...

and thanks for your CMI VFX tutorials. they are great - really nice concepts and very well explained - looking forward to the VEX DVD

martin

• 10 months later...

just a short note:

while frenchop tutorials are great, i would just like to notice u that since h9 things changed a lil bit for there is near-allmighty For sop that does this delete-and-copy-again trick much more in efficient and understandable fashion.

k

Edited by kumpa