Output CHOPs info with Null or Export Chop?

Hello

I was watching the Chops videos on Sesi website and in the video the guy used a null with drag and drop to export his CHOP data.

In my digging around I found an export CHOP. After playing with it, I noticed it does the same thing.

So what is the suggested workflow we use? Are there any pros/cons to either method?

All I can think of is, the export CHOP is better if we have a dense scene where it is difficult to DnD.

This CHOP stuff is crazy! I can spend a lot of time in there playing around! I wish I did not have to sleep for like 2 months so I can learn all this stuff :)

In the intro to the animation videos the guy calls the Chops Editor -"Jive."

What is Jive? I did not find any reference to this name in the manuals or the interface or this website. I'm just curious on why call it jive.

I did not see CHOPs or Animation section on this website so is why I posted question in this section.

Thank you very much for your comments

Hi there,

The Export CHOP only allows you to export to one operator so if you want to export the same channel to many operators, you have to put down as many Export CHOPs. It's not very efficient as you can see. ;)

IMHO, I would recommend not using the Export CHOP unless you just want to export to one Operator or two.

All I can think of is, the export CHOP is better if we have a dense scene where it is difficult to DnD.

DnD? Are you referring to one of the [od]force members?

There is a new method to export channels since Houdini 5.5 & it is to RMB on the CHOP, select "Exporter -> Set Scope..." to open the CHOP Exporter dialog then drag & drop the channel onto the parameter you want to override & select "Export CHOP". With the CHOP Exporter still open, you can drag & drop onto as many Parameters as you want or you can also use wildcards.

There is no right or wrong or suggested workflow. It's how comfortable the user is with the different methods of getting the channel to the parameter.

"Jive" is/was the code name of the channel editor during Prisms (another thing for you to look up :P ) days but it's good to know. :)

Have fun and CHOPs rock!

Cheers!

steven

Hello Steven,

DnD? Are you referring to one of the [od]force members?

ahh sorry, DnD is my abbreviation for Drag & Drop ;)

There is a new method to export channels since Houdini 5.5 & it is to RMB on the CHOP, select "Exporter -> Set Scope..." to open the CHOP Exporter dialog then drag & drop the channel onto the parameter you want to override & select "Export CHOP". With the CHOP Exporter still open, you can drag & drop onto as many Parameters as you want or you can also use wildcards.

Thanks for the tip. Is it still suggested that the last node in our CHOP network be a null?

Thanks!

ahh sorry, DnD is my abbreviation for Drag & Drop ;)

Hehe.. I guess now we know how DnD got his member name. :P

Thanks for the tip.  Is it still suggested that the last node in our CHOP network be a null?

Again, it's up to the user. Some users like to have a Null SOP/CHOP at the end of the network & reference that. Any modifications to the network will go above the Null SOP/CHOP so it does not mess up the references.

Cheers!

steven

How to enable/disable Export CHOP depending on the value of variable?

I tried to use an expression in the Path field of Export CHOP

`if(Enable_Export, "tx","")`

but it does not work.

In the documentation I read the following:

The second input should contain one channel. This channel controls the exporting of