Car Crash using FEM

prashantcgi

I mean there's no best way to do anything and what you're asking is very broad.

FEM will give you some crumpling, so will cloth, so will wires if you rig it.

RBDs for bits flying off, smoke solver.. particles for sparks, I mean there's a whole heap of setup to get something looking nice.

There's this, but I guess it's out of date. Might get some tid bits from it though:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1540&Itemid=386

Have a look on vimeo also, see if there's some tips you can pick up there:

https://vimeo.com/96676820

FEM is pretty much the definitive tool to use if you want to simulate a car crash accurately and realistically... one of the main applications of it before it turned up in the CG industry appears to have been by car manufacturers to actually simulate real world car crash tests.

I used the DMM plugin on Maya a few years back to simulate a car getting hit by a tram, and it worked wonderfully, although it required a lot of R&D time to learn how FEM ticked, and set it up well.  The actual sim was amazingly robust though, I never got the kind of glitchy behaviour usually associated with rigid body simulations or cloth... it handled just about everything I threw at it.  It does require you to very carefully and physically-accurately model the car you want to smash though.  FEM deals with solid materials, so if you don't define your model as fully enclosed, solid pieces, you'll have trouble getting anywhere with it.

If you're looking for a more artistic and hackable effect, and aren't so worried about the physical accuracy, it may very well be better to go with a cloth based solution or something similar.

• Like 1

FEM is pretty much the definitive tool to use if you want to simulate a car crash accurately and realistically... one of the main applications of it before it turned up in the CG industry appears to have been by car manufacturers to actually simulate real world car crash tests.

I used the DMM plugin on Maya a few years back to simulate a car getting hit by a tram, and it worked wonderfully, although it required a lot of R&D time to learn how FEM ticked, and set it up well.  The actual sim was amazingly robust though, I never got the kind of glitchy behaviour usually associated with rigid body simulations or cloth... it handled just about everything I threw at it.  It does require you to very carefully and physically-accurately model the car you want to smash though.  FEM deals with solid materials, so if you don't define your model as fully enclosed, solid pieces, you'll have trouble getting anywhere with it.

If you're looking for a more artistic and hackable effect, and aren't so worried about the physical accuracy, it may very well be better to go with a cloth based solution or something similar.

Hi Danw!

I found some files here on odforce which is about switching the solver between FEM and rigid-body at the crash time.

I'm using cloth object instead of solid object.

What you think about it ?

But yeah thanks for the info on FEM and your experience about it. super-helpful.

Hi! I found this thing to be very interesting for someone looking for car crashes. I think it's some sort of FEM too. Too bad we can't have geometry caches from this thing, because quality and stability is really not bad, also considering this is real-time.

http://www.beamng.com/content/

Hey thanks teratera

Good reference :)