How to make Glass Sand hour effect

Thanks for fast reply 

well im asked to do two cites with sand look and located in the upper part of the glass hour and the other one in the other down side of it,,

they will be static without any movement but i have to make sand which is comming from the middle of the glass to fall down into the other city...

i made really fast test to see how the main sand will look like but i could not get it right.

i attached a hip file for you and i hope if i can find some answers for it.

thanks again.

sandwatch_V1.hip

post-11123-0-98886300-1414972786_thumb.j

Edited by AhmedSaady

Ahhh, ok, I don't know why I didn't see it before.

You want a noisy emitter of bullet spheres, tiny little spheres.

This thread has some threads in it about doing that: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21181-pop-h13-self-collision/

And a manual example file: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/examples/nodes/dop/rbdpackedobject/EmittingObjects

For sparkly sand you probably want a faceted tiny poly sphere with some point jitter on it and a 2+ specular with a tiny angle <2 degrees.

You'lll probably also need to crank up your pixel samples because you want your objects really really small.

maybe helpful?

I really dont see what is wrong with your version . Why dont you like it?

Just for the fun of it, I made something like this but with Bullet. I dont know if it's usefull..

I had to crank up the substep to 60 for the spheres not to escape the sandwatch. If someone knows a way around this please let me know.

The fact that Bullet is not multithreaded is so annoying....

I dont think Bullet is the way to go with this. Too slow for the amount of particles you need.

Sandwatch - Bullet.hip

Edited by dpap

I really dont see what is wrong with your version . Why dont you like it?

Just for the fun of it, I made something like this but with Bullet. I dont know if it's usefull..

I had to crank up the substep to 60 for the spheres not to escape the sandwatch. If someone knows a way around this please let me know.

I dont think Bullet is the way to go with this. Too slow for the amount of particles you need.

Thanks Pap for youe hip file i will take a look into it and let you know about the updates.

Probably best to use the checkbox for multithreading then :)

post-8321-0-54942700-1415404805_thumb.pn

Edited by tar

Thanks Marty!

Wonder why isn't this on by default...

Nevertheless there isn't much of a difference in performance.

Most of my cores are still taking a nap...

Well, it says Parallel Constraint Solver, which means that only constraints (and collisions) are multithreaded.