Deer Modeling in Houdini ! Is Procedural Possible ?

sheerkohf

Hi Friends !  Here are the screenshots  of the deer I just modeled in HOUDINI  !  It is Normal Box Modeling !

My question is -  Is it possible to do PROCEDURAL MODELING (parametric) of  Animals, Humans and other organic things in HOUDINI  ?

So that by modeling ONE DEER we could make variations of the same deer using parameters  ( a young deer, male deer, female deer, big deer, small deer or may be another species of deer . Is it possible  in HOUDINI ?

post-10432-0-09799400-1417451574_thumb.p

post-10432-0-74127300-1417451585_thumb.p

post-10432-0-38270700-1417451597_thumb.p

post-10432-0-02248400-1417451609_thumb.p

post-10432-0-36114700-1417451620_thumb.p

Edited by sheerkohf
  • Like 1

Hi Friends !  Here are the screenshots  of the deer I just modeled in HOUDINI  !  It is Normal Box Modeling !

My question is -  Is it possible to do PROCEDURAL MODELING (parametric) of  Animals, Humans and other organic things in HOUDINI  ?

sure :-)

but it depends on the target model quality how hard it will be. have fun :-) 

i know this tutorials can help:

Procedural Modeling:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=222&Itemid=383

the scene file has a procedural corn tree:

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2312&Itemid=259

what you can see is the construction of the model is different then when you model just strait away. you always have to think how you want to build a model where you have the best proceduralism.

• 4 weeks later...

hi sheerkohf,

most creatures topologically consist of cylinders. each limb is a cylinder that needs to be fused with open parts of a subdivided mesh. delete two quad polygons from the main body and use an eight sided cylinders for legs and arms.

i did some procedural animals here:

http://vimeo.com/archvis/houdini

• 6 years later...
On 1.12.2014 at 5:34 PM, sheerkohf said:

Is it possible to do procedural modeling of animals, humans and other organic things in Houdini?

It is. Just transfer a bunch of curves from tubes, grids and lines with pscale and velocity attributes into a volume. Reshape VDB will blend all shapes eventually.

dinosaur.thumb.jpg.bf0a5768a371995a26e9bf94dd2c6b51.jpg
dinosaur_back.thumb.jpg.eb0f236bca6c234f583a5bc7d972d838.jpg

dinosaur.hiplc

Edited by konstantin magnus
  • Like 3

It's also a good idea to use Lsys to build the squeleton, there are certain advantage of going that way even it's not that intuitive

After you could use kind of meatball volume to shape the muscle under, like in the old school, some of you might remember metaball tubes from metareyes, Spanish... 

I mean this is a vast subject, many way are possible...

Getting more organic this weekend after some hot hardsurface method last week... But still same thing... Few nodes, valid method for each model, few seconds works each time
Result for lazy people

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

houdini_headscale_draw_vince.PNG